Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Just when I thought it was safe to buy a Cat... >

Just when I thought it was safe to buy a Cat...

Notices

Just when I thought it was safe to buy a Cat...

Old 10-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just when I thought it was safe to buy a Cat...

Whats up with Cats as far as roll overs? Just started to seriously look at them, and that 36 Skater rolls at 45mph after hitting a bad wake while turning? (honeyman thread).

Hitting wakes is just part of boating...was this a fluke or do cats just not turn?(limited seat time on my part, more in vees)

I know the cats are faster, etc etc etc, but I thinking V might just be the way to go for Tampa/Gulf of Mexico boating.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: Just when I thought it was safe to buy a Cat...

Originally Posted by offshorebankin
Whats up with Cats as far as roll overs? Just started to seriously look at them, and that 36 Skater rolls at 45mph after hitting a bad wake while turning? (honeyman thread).

Hitting wakes is just part of boating...was this a fluke or do cats just not turn?(limited seat time on my part, more in vees)

I know the cats are faster, etc etc etc, but I thinking V might just be the way to go for Tampa/Gulf of Mexico boating.
In the post it said he was slowing down from 105mph, might have helped alittle in the roll. Of course I wasnt there so this is just a wild guess from what I read.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wasn't witness to the Honeyman accident so don't know what happened there, but can tell you that I've owned cats for many years and never came close to "rolling over" at 45 or any other speed.
I know of a cat that rolled over at speed during a race because the throttle man mistakenly put the drives and tabs in the full tuck and down position while the driver turned into a corner; the result was a lifting of the stern, which caused the bow to dig in. This also can happen on a V.
Due
Old 10-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
I wasn't witness to the Honeyman accident so don't know what happened there, but can tell you that I've owned cats for many years and never came close to "rolling over" at 45 or any other speed.
I know of a cat that rolled over at speed during a race because the throttle man mistakenly put the drives and tabs in the full tuck and down position while the driver turned into a corner; the result was a lifting of the stern, which caused the bow to dig in. This also can happen on a V.
Due
Yeah, I was thinking that the "45mph" might be a bit of a stretch, anything seem relatively slow after going 105.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Registered

Like Dueclaws said... I have been running cats since 1988 and never come close , and have not seen any other cats come close to rolling, stuffing or blowing over. One needs to be smarter then the boat.

A little while ago the conversation was about step bottom Vees rolling over and spinning out. I think one incident attracts alot of attention especially when it is a very nice and expensive boat like the 36 skater.
You are a lot less likely to roll over in a cat then a vee hull boat, but both are very safe if operated with common sense