cam and intake selection

Notices

cam and intake selection

Old 10-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cam and intake selection

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw
how do I get in touch with rmbuilder? also having trouble finding a spreadbore intake for square port heads. does anyone know of any?
thanx
Best way I know is to PM him
Old 10-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: cam and intake selection

Thanks for all the help so far!
Payton, if you will get me your email we will work out the details. Seems fair to me.
Just a little background on what I am trying to do, after losing the one engine, when I opened her up I found questionable assembly and parts used. Do not know any info on engine builder. 2 rod caps broke loose and you know what happened. Engine had been bored 60 over, 10.5:1 pistons, crower roller cam and lifters, rect heads, roller rockers, all forged internals. But looking at the crank it had been welded on [pad for weight] and after crack checking found cracks at weld. Cam had deep grooves in the first 3 lobes where roller lifters had been riding. weiand intakes[looks like the same as on hp 500's] , 1050 style 850 holley non marine.
Just plane worried of what the other engine looks like inside. Had these engines on the stops one time when test driving. Boat ran 75,non gps.
Had a friend that had the 2 330's with 300 hrs, carb to pan. Will use the rect heads off old engines.
Talked to ultradyne yesterday,Tim Goolsby and he gave me 2 choices on cams. Need help choising one.
One is the 280/288 at 50 has 223/231 and 515/515 lift or the 288/296 at 50 is231/239 with 550/575 lift. Both have 110 lobe sep. Would appreciate any insight you may have.
Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Registered

how do I get in touch with you. I will take them.

Last edited by team Tickfaw; 10-12-2005 at 10:53 AM. Reason: already asked
Old 10-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw
how do I get in touch with you. I will take them.

emailed you

thanks

Last edited by Payton; 10-13-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Tickfaw, are you talking hydraulic flat tappet or roller design cams??? I think you'd be much happier with the smaller Ultradyne cam of the two for a 454cid marine engine. Ultradyne cams usually have more aggresive lobe profiles and you'll wear out valve springs a little sooner. rmbuilder/Bob would be a good person to stick with on the cam tech.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered

I ran an Ultradyne 223/231 @.050 .525/.550 on a 112*CL
The boat ran good for about 110 hrs then a cam lobe wiped out. We had to tear down the whole engine. Somebody bought Ultradyne, a big name, I don't know if they are still making their own grinds anymore. Get with RM Builder
Old 10-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Registered

Re: cam and intake selection

Whiteknuckle,
Was this recently? Of all the problems I've had lately, sure don't want to step into anymore.
These are hyd, non roller type cam. They quoted me a price of 230 for cam and lifters and 70 for the springs to match. Sounds pretty cheap. Maybe you get what you pay for?
Are cometic head gaskets the way to go on the mark 4's?
What about intake gaskets? Any special marine type I should use? Thanks for everyones help.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Registered

TT
The cam let go about this time last year. The cam I bought was when Harold was the guru there and they were in Mississippi. Kaama is correct, Ultradynes put out good power, but they ran into some bad cam cores at one time. I thing Mr. Gadgets had a simiair issue. Now, the bad cam core thing is something that can happen to anyone, so I am not being critical of Ultradyne. It was just one of those things. My suggest continues to be; get with RMBuilder. This guy knows his stuff. Tell him what you want to do and let him pick your stuff for you. His prices are also very fair.
Unless you are running a blower motor on a Mark IV use the Felpro gasket. Make sure you put new ARP rod bolts in that thing also.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Registered

Cool Re: cam and intake selection

Thanks for all the help and guidance. I will shoot rm builder a email. What makes a marine engine hold up at sustained rpms better than a automotive engine? Are the tolarnces inside better?
Do you happen to know the part number for the felpro head gasket? Its for a 89 454 mark 4.
thanx
Old 10-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

17040. There about $38 a piece from Summit. Its not the rpm's so much as the load. Marine engines are under constant loading where an auto engine is only similarily loaded during acceleration. Correct piston to cylinder wall clearances and wrist pin clearances. The cam choice plays a big part and alot of it is based on the heads and exhaust. Valve train components need to be the best you can buy and the correct ones. Spring pressures, Inconel exhaust valves. Lots of things. Having gone cheap many times and blown them up, Ive learned the hard way.

Quick Reply: cam and intake selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.