525SC / Weiand Blower failure question >

525SC / Weiand Blower failure question

Notices

525SC / Weiand Blower failure question

Old 10-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 525SC / Weiand Blower failure question

A friends 525sc/weiand blower succomed to a weird failure and now I need to a) find parts to fix it and b) figure out why it failed the way it did.

a) I need a drive shaft.

b) The drive shaft and the drive shaft to gear coupler stripped out the splines. Almost looks like a slow wear failure as opposed to a sudden tear out type situation. Has any one seen this type of failure before? I have seen gears and bearings and seal fail but never a drive shaft and coupler failure like this. My feelinf is that if it was the result of the blower " locking up", the belt would have slipped before the splines stripped??????
Maybe its just a piss poor shaft to coupler alignment due to bad design tolerances?
The blowers have a few hundred hours on them.

Any ideas???????
Old 10-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 525SC / Weiand Blower failure question

This is actually a common problem on the Weiand and B&M blowers. Here are a couple of reasons why it happens.

1- Non-heat treated shaft and coupler

2- Low on oil. Most blowers we see have enough oil to keep the gears lubricated, but not enough to reach the coupler.

3- Coupler not running true to the shaft. If the coupler is not concentric or the face of the gear has run out it will wear out the shaft and coupler.

With a couple hundred hours on the blower, I would assume that it was due to low oil or fuel contaminated oil along with the non heat treated parts. I would recommend replacing the bearing and seals because all the metal shavings have been running through them. The splined shaft is no longer availabe, but you can use the keyed Weiand shaft as it is the same lenght snout. You will also have to replace the top pulley to a keyed pulley

Holley p#'s

91180 - shaft/coulpler lw 9.0"

6892 - 10 rib top pulley 3.25" dia
6893 - 10 rib top pulley 3.50" dia

Ron
The Blower Shop
Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the blower shop go through my 250's this past winter - I was very pleased with the service and the cost was lower than they had suggested. I also had them re-polish the blowers - they look great - These guys are good
Old 10-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"You will also have to replace the top pulley to a keyed pulley"

Which of course is a good thing....more boost to be had !
Old 10-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James
I had the blower shop go through my 250's this past winter - I was very pleased with the service and the cost was lower than they had suggested. I also had them re-polish the blowers - they look great - These guys are good
I second that. They went through my Weiand 256 and it's working very well. I've also gotten after the service schedule based on Ron's recommendations. I change both front and rear reservoirs every 25 hrs (every time I change engine and drive oil too) with RP 50W90 Max Gear synthetic.
Hey Ron, you changed my bearings out over the winter. How often should they be inspected and/or changed with frequent oil changes (every 25 hrs.)?
Regards,
Steve