steering problems? >

steering problems?

Notices

steering problems?

Old 10-26-2005, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering problems?

When coming off the throttle quickly my boat turns rather sharply to the right. It always goes right and seems to be getting worse. The boat is a 21' Hallett Vector with a Brovo 1 and goes an honest 70mph. It is a little bit scary and dangerous. Does anyone know what is causing this? I have just put the boat away for the winter so it is a good time to take the drive off if I need to.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: steering problems?

Bent skeg?

Loose/broken pivot pin?

Hooked hull?

Uneven trim tab?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a close look at your gimble ring and pivots.. Waterfoul had the same deal and it was broken... I think where the tiller arm attaches in that upper area.. But take a close look... something is wrong and it will bite you!!!

good luck... and let us know.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a little tiller play that caused that on my boat. Add 10 more mph and it's scary as hell. I went hydraulic and it went away.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I think Mr. Gadgets is right on. I had a worn gimbal ring and mine would pull to the right when I accelerated real hard. Replaced the gimbal ring and the problem went away.

Dave M.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I think Mr. Gadgets is right on. I had a worn gimbal ring and mine would pull to the right when I accelerated real hard. Replaced the gimbal ring and the problem went away.

Dave M.
thats what iam thinking also

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Registered

Could be the gimbal, like these guys are saying.

Check for slop in the drive. Grab it and give it a shove. If there is slop, check the top of the gimbal. There is a u-bolt that might be loose. If it's not too loose and worn, you can torque them down. I believe the number is 50 ft/lbs. These really should be torqued annually.

If this is not it, check the steering arm on the inside for slop. I saw one power steering arm wear out a few years ago.

Also, if the steering cable parts are really worn, it can cause this affect, too.

Really, since you are going 70, you should have full hydraulic steering!
Just my 2c.
Kent
Old 10-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Registered

Could Be That The Power Being Applied To The Prop At Wide Open Throttle Is Now Being Transfered Back Into The Hull Of The Boat!kind If Like Reving Up A Hot Rod And The Torque Twists The Car!this Could Cause The Boat To Dive In One Direction!if The Prop Was Spinning In The Other Direction,it Would Probably Turn The Other Way! Be Smooth!
Old 10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

The skeg has checked out, the trim tabs are even, and the bottom of the boat is true. I will be checking for play in the steering and gimbal ring. I have noticed the drive swings to the left and right while it is being towed on the trailer- should they be pretty still? Has anyone tried the steering stabilizers from Drew marine? I would like hydraulic steering but these seemed like a cheaper alternative as long as I wasn't going much above 70.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Utahskibum
The skeg has checked out, the trim tabs are even, and the bottom of the boat is true. I will be checking for play in the steering and gimbal ring. I have noticed the drive swings to the left and right while it is being towed on the trailer- should they be pretty still? Has anyone tried the steering stabilizers from Drew marine? I would like hydraulic steering but these seemed like a cheaper alternative as long as I wasn't going much above 70.
The drive really should not move at all. Even with the stock steering system, the drive should not move a discernable amount when pushing and pulling side to side on the drive. Before I added full hydraulic to my boat, I could push and pull on the drive, and it 'might' have moved 1/4" measured at the prop. Now, there is zero slop!

I would highly recommend finding your problem before adding anything like the Drew stabilizers.

I don't know anyone running those, but I have heard from others that they help with sudden drive movement at speed. They are basically just shock absorbers.

Please post what you find out!
Kent

Quick Reply: steering problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.