Powder coating cleats >

Powder coating cleats

Notices

Powder coating cleats

Old 10-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Powder coating cleats

If I get my cleats powder coated on my cigarette mistress. Will they hold up with the taking off of ropes and the rubbing friction? Or is the paint just going to work itself off in a hurry??
Old 10-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Powder coating cleats

If done correct they should hold up and show very little wear over time. We did a friend of mines cleats three or four years ago and they show no wear. I am doing mine this weekend and had have about 4 sets to do for people over the winter.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Registered

Do you know if using one of the guns that you buy in the store work as well as getting them done. They sell powder coating kits that of course need to be baked after its finished in a non cooking oven. The people that I have talked to said that this process suprisingly works well. Any comments? I have a sanblaster.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Do you know if using one of the guns that you buy in the store work as well as getting them done. They sell powder coating kits that of course need to be baked after its finished in a non cooking oven. The people that I have talked to said that this process suprisingly works well. Any comments? I have a sanblaster.
Yes they do work. I have three of the different hobby guns and one Pro Gun. Sears is even selling a gun now.
The best hobby gun out there is the Red Line gun. The Harbor freight ones are rated at 15kv and the Red Line are about twice as high. Not sure what the Eastwood gun puts out. If you have any questions give me a call 913 244-5165. I am getting ready to sell hoppers for the hobby guns and thinking about selling small packages of powder.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Registered

Do you know anything about this gun, good or bad. A friend of mine has it and has had pretty good success.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance
Old 10-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using the Harbor Freight gun for a few years now with fine results. I find the key is in the prep work, and the quality of the powders you use. Because I don't do big volume work, I purchase my powders in small quantities so I always have fresh powder. I powdercoated all the brackets on my engine, and it's been 3 years with no problems.
I'll powdercoat anything that will fit in my oven!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Do you know anything about this gun, good or bad. A friend of mine has it and has had pretty good success.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance
I have one of those it is the eastwood gun and sells for $99.00 through them. I like it the least of all the hobby guns it was also the first one out there. It works I just don't like some of the features.
None of the hobby guns compare to the pro guns since you can't make alot of the adjustments on them. The cheapest semi pro gun is one eastwood sells for $700.00 I have never used on but heard good things about it. A nice pro gun starts at a little over a grand from what I found.

Last edited by KCHOTBOAT; 10-28-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

I should add a few things to this, even though the hobby guns will get powder on your part you need to consider a few things. The powder dust gets every where. I have a 8x12 spray booth and the largest parts I do are BMX bikes. You need to prep the parts, have dry air(which does cost), dust free booth(cost even more) and a oven that is ONLY used for powder coating and never used for food again. If the parts are not prepped correctly and not cured correctly the powder coat will flake off faster than wet paint.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of other things to note on powder coating. 1) the powder will go bad if not stored @ 70 degrees or less and very low humidity, if you are not prepared to store unused powder then any materials you have left over condsider waste. 2) Proper cure is everything, this is not the temperature you set the oven dial at but the acutual temprature of the part, under bake yields a very high gloss part that will chip and peel easily and overbake will reduce gloss slightly and turn many colors brown or yellow 3) Powder dust is is a health a fire issue 4) Powder is NOT better than paint ! Powder (depending on the type) is made from the same components as paint and should perform like paint if properly applied, powder has better economic advatages than paint and is very popular in a manufactuer enviornment were cost are important. 5) Check the MSDS sheet before running powder in the family oven, while powders are 100% solids they do produce 1% volatiles in the curing process.

If you want to save money buy cheap beer