need advice on removing starter >

need advice on removing starter

Notices

need advice on removing starter

Old 11-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need advice on removing starter

when winterizing my starboard engine starter jammed. i can turn the crank, the selenoid clicks loudly , but the starter won't turn and pulls the batteries down , the other starter cranked fine.

i cannot get to this starter unless i shrink in size. 27' formula with twin 330's.... ie...no room....

but.. how is the starter removed. is it small bolt on side of block and then on flywheel housing, or large bolts from below like i remember from car motors of past?

i will try to post the illustration pic from BAM's site
(ok, waterfoul will post for me)

help, it is getting cold in michigan and i have a polebarn to insulate, and don't have time dinkin with this starter to winterize .
Old 11-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: need advice on removing starter

starter illustration
Attached Thumbnails need advice on removing starter-starter.gif  
Old 11-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Where is the starter mounted? On the block? I have seen many times that the manifold may have to be removed in order to get to the starter.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The bendix is jammed on the flywheel. If you are able to somehow rotate the engine, it might release. Sometimes they don't and the starter burns up with in spectacular fashion. Anyways, there are two vertical bolts that hold the starter on. There sometimes is a rear bracket to help support it. There will be several wires connected to two terminals. Keep track of which wire goes where. Oh, and be sure to disconnect the batteries. The switches might not disconnect the starter and that red cable is HOT.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:31 AM
Registered

I don't recall where the bolts were, but I spent a couple of days trying to get the port starter out of my 272. I removed the manifold to be able to reach it and had one bolt that just wouldn't budge, even borrowed some tools from my mechanic. I ended up having to take it in and they pulled the engine to replace it.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill272
I don't recall where the bolts were, but I spent a couple of days trying to get the port starter out of my 272. I removed the manifold to be able to reach it and had one bolt that just wouldn't budge, even borrowed some tools from my mechanic. I ended up having to take it in and they pulled the engine to replace it.

Man, that sucks.
I had to remove one last summer and had to remove the exhaust manifold to get to it. 2 vertical bolts held it in place. 91, 454 mag
Old 11-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Registered

thanks Cord, the crazy thing is, as i mentioned... I CAN rotate the engine crank. so I'm puzzled why the starter is jammed....on what????

Bill, I am afraid that is the solution. this is the starboard engine and it is even worse to get to than the port. all i wanted to do was run some antifreeze, fog on the last gallon and tuck her away till June (spring in Michigan )

my marine mechanic is a rolling shop now (has a truck like a snapon guy). guess I better call the professional..... Mitch Stellin offered to help, but he is twice my size and his head is WAY too big to fit down there )

between starters and waterpump impellors, this boat is just too small to work on twin big block. time to upgrade the engine bay size to a 336SR1 I think.....

Ramb
Old 11-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Registered

Ramb--Whats going on? The starters on my 357 were a 2 min. job. They mounted like the Bam illustrations you posted. They were top mount starters that worked with that style bell housing. Great thing about having Trannys! Now tie a rop around your ankles and hang head first from the rafters and change your starter
Old 11-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Registered

funny things happen when you get your head stuck between the manifold and the hull flange. your heart races as a small insignificant "help" comes out of your mouth, knowing the wife and kids are in the hosue watching scoobie doo and no one will find you till morning
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Registered

Mine happened just before the 4th of July, so my wife was all over me to get it replaced. The shop said they could do it in 2 weeks, so I'd come in and say "That one bolt won't move" and she'd say "C'mon, keep trying, I know you can do it..." I had bruises on my ribs and stomach from laying on the engine, wrenching for all I was worth. My mechanic said they'd send their smallest guy in there and he couldn't get it either.

That's funny about getting stuck on your head. I did that replacing an impeller where I got too far down and couldn't get any leverage to push back out. I had my wife out there at the time and told her to pull be out by the belt. I think if I still had the 272, I'd keep my cell phone within reach anytime I was deep in the bilge.

Oh, and the 336 engine room is huge. I'd highly recommend one.

Quick Reply: need advice on removing starter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.