Speeding up bolster seat speed

Notices

Speeding up bolster seat speed

Old 11-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speeding up bolster seat speed

Seats use electric motors to raise/lower the seat. Worm and screw design.
What controls the rpm of the motor? Would like for it to operate faster.
Thanks
Old 11-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Speeding up bolster seat speed

The motor controls the speed of the motor, if that makes any sense. The size of the magnet and or number of windings in the motor determine how much current a motor draws which determines RPM. There realy is no way to speed them up. What you could do is pull one out and find one in the Grainger catalog that is the same frame size, they are all standard, but that has atleast the same torque output but a higher RPM rating, just make sure it a 12v DC motot and not something else.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also check the voltage at the motor when it's running-you may be getting some voltage loss in the circuit due to too small wiring or corrosion-very common on hatch lifts and other high draw motors like the seats.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Find out if the power is feed through the switch or if uses relays to feed power directly from the batteries. If the power goes through the switch you could be seeing a drop across the switch causing it to operate slowly.

My hatch feeds power through the switch and it is very slow because of the voltage drop. If I feed the hatch motor directly from the switch it operates much faster.

You might try feeding the bolster motor directly from the battery with temporary wires to see if it speeds up. Another possibility depending upon the type of voltage regulator used would be to source the power directly from the alternator thereby bypassing the voltage regulator.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Power goes thru the switch, but made no difference in speed bypassing it. Hooked battery directly to the motor. The motors work fine. Both seats same speed. Just want a faster spinning motor to speed up the action.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could increase the voltage to the motors. They are short term run, so no damage will occur. If you have 2 batteries, you could run a series circuit to them to double their speed = 24v.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Registered

Are there any electronic components in the motor or control circuits? If not you can likely get by with running the motor at a higher voltage. Not sure if your motors could handle 24 vdc but many of the 12v motors will tolerate 24v if the motor is not at its maximum capacity. I used to work on tape drives and printers that had many 12v motors (as stamped on case) that were fed 24v. You have 2 12v batteries that you could wire series to the switches for running the motor at 24v. Relay and diodes may be involved in that scheme.

Another option would be to build or purchase a DC to DC circuit that would step your 24v to 18v or 12 to 18.

Depending upon how much current the motors draw a small dedicated set of 6v batteries could be wired in series for 18v. Charging these would become a pita thought.

You might look for a DC bi-directional motor speed controller. Using 24v input you could regulate the output with one of these. The DC speed controllers use pulse width modulation but the motor still sees 24v but momentarily. Typically designed for permanent magnet brushed motor. Probably a roll your own application here.

If it were mine I would find out how much the replacement motor costs and try feeding it 24v (once determined there are not electronic components).

Last edited by BadDog; 11-10-2005 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Starting to sound like a mad science project for a friggin seat

What do the motors actually drive? Do they go to a small gear box or possibly drive a large screw or worm gear?

BTW I am in Laffeyette right now! And yes I stayed smart last night at the H.I. I service your Meijer CCTV from time to time!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
The motor controls the speed of the motor, if that makes any sense. The size of the magnet and or number of windings in the motor determine how much current a motor draws which determines RPM. There realy is no way to speed them up. What you could do is pull one out and find one in the Grainger catalog that is the same frame size, they are all standard, but that has atleast the same torque output but a higher RPM rating, just make sure it a 12v DC motot and not something else.

hook it up 24Volts ....that'll speed it up ....
Old 11-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered

Maybe some parts out of Sybian would work?

Quick Reply: Speeding up bolster seat speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.