Ford 351 power ?

Notices

Ford 351 power ?

Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: Ford 351 power ?

Originally Posted by Pantera24
If you want you can email your engine specs and I can run it thru a dyno program I have and tell you what it is approx. pushing HP and torque. Same time I'll try different heads and intake or cam to see what it can do for you.
Thanks for the offer .... it was a completely stock 351 with the 4v Holley etc .. no tricks ..

Unfortunately what with the way some of these old boats are kept running .... an odd bunch of miss matched parts really .. The re-power will be a whole new package from the ground up.
I just hope that the guy I gave the old stuff to has some real fun and does it up a bit !

I do see a GM in my future though ......
Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for a complete Volvo Penta/GM engine package, I have a great source!
A friend of mine bought a 320HP/5.7GSi for his 18' Donzi last year and is VARY happy.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Actually Pat .........

It probably would'nt hurt to look into that out of interest .

I have a potential supplier who I have worked with here over the last year or two and out of all the suppliers , his was the most realistic quote .

The problem comes when you have to install and go to them for their help and there is NO goodwill involved whatsoever because THEY did'nt sell YOU the engine ... know what I mean ? (In other words they have you by the short and curlies)

Steve
Old 11-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GOODT
are you crazy, ford stopped marinizing there motors for a reason, very hard to get parts now and was not one of Fords "better ideas"
Ford never marinezed the engines to begin with, the only reason that Merc stopped using them was strictly financial. They were great packages and parts are still available for them.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After working on mkany many ford/mercruiser 888 packages and the 302s have found hard to get parts and never that great, ranks up there with the 470s and 485s to each there own.... I wont go looking to replace a sb chevy with a ford, if thats what you have then id work with it but between the two would have to stick with chevy I own ford trucks so dont get me wrong I like ford just not in marine applications
Old 11-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ford motors are great marine candidtes, beyond any Ford Chevy pissing match stuff. They have a much higher rod ratio stock which lends itslef to building torque curves that work better in a marine application. A lower rod ratio, such as any stroker motor without rod length changes produces, tends to make more torque down low and drop off well before desired operating range for a boat. The only draw back to Ford's in a marine application is that they were never a mainstream marine engine so parts are a little hard to find but they are defenitly out there.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not a ford guy but in my private water ski lake I have to get up to 36 in about 200 ft. and I'll tell you that the ford will get up to speed faster in that distance than my new 375 zr 6.0 motor. I repeat.......parts are not hard to find for the 351.......
Old 11-17-2005, 06:19 AM
Registered

I know it's not in a boat! I have recently built a 351w,now a 427 stroker for my bronco. 400hp 500tq. My engine builder says by changing the cam we should get 500hp and around 500tq.There are all kinds of after market parts for the 351w. It is a great engine with many possibilities.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Registered

The Ford 351 Merc is 233 HP stock.

I have a 302 in my old '74 Nova that I hopped up. My boat kills the guy with a newer 21 Nova that has a 350 in it.

I just put center rise manifolds and 3" thru hulls on it. Unfortunately it got down to 20 degrees up here in Michigan, so I had no choice but to winterize it before I got one last chance to test drive it.

I have to admit, that I had to do some looking, especially on ebay for what I wanted for my motor, but I really didn't have that hard of a time finding parts. To date... 4bbl Edelbrock manifold, Carter 6117 carb (actually from a 327 Chris Craft Motor), Prestolite electronic distributor, MSD Blaster II Coil, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley fuel pump.

I gotta say that the MSD coil is sweet as hell! I swear, you could pour water down the carb, pump it and it would still start. I don't know that I actually gained any speed, but it sure starts quick now.

And for the record, this is the first Ford that I have ever had.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=canajun]The Ford 351 Merc is 233 HP stock.

I guess that's at the crank right ?

They were'nt rating at the prop back then .

(is your Nova a 'Brownie' one ... maybe a 19 ?

Quick Reply: Ford 351 power ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.