TRS VS Bravo 1 >

TRS VS Bravo 1

Notices

TRS VS Bravo 1

Old 11-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: TRS VS Bravo 1

Konrad......Why even consider a Bravo ?....
Old 11-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running 600+ HP through my TRS/MercTrans setup for over 17 years and over 1000 hours. At about 700 hours the clutches would slip if I did a full throttle acceleration. I could still run at top speed as long as I accelerated moderatly. Most of the time, I don't do full throttle acceleration. I rebuilt the trans with upgraded clutches for less than $200. Now it's been 5 years since the rebuild and no problems. I don't allow the boat to launch at high speeds (70-85 MPH) but below that, I'm willing to play around.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:38 PM

Rodger, I'm right in your area. Send me an e-mail. [email protected].
Old 11-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Registered

DAMN GUYS; " Lost" is talking about a MerCtrans transmission; NOT the B/W unit that WILL handle everything you want to put in. If he had said he had the B/W unit, then I would have told him to go for the moon and change to the Konrad short Hi-Perf unit when his TRS fails. (if it ever does) And Rodger; I congratulate you, cause you are the only other guy I know that has run 600+ HP through a MerCtransII for any length of time without catastrophic failure. --- Jer
Old 11-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm sure that the Konrad is the way to go; however my weakest link is the MerCtrans. I wanted to lighten up the a$$ end some so my deck will self-bail. The Konrad would add even more weight and I would still have the weak Merc trans. I just pulled the engine and trans. The trans is pretty light (approx 50 lbs) I could see where the small input shaft or output could break pretty easy. The trans seems to be the original 1978; it's hard to believe that it has outlasted at least two engines. I'm probably going to just run the Merc trans until it does break. I don't get any air time or do full throttle starts so just maybe the trans will last a little longer. I going to look into beefing up the trans just to make me feel better. BTW I don't know if all TRS's are this way but mine uses a standard mercury V6 prop.

Last edited by lost2a6; 11-17-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Registered

Do yourself a favor and monitor ebay for a merc trans. Lately they have been going cheap, but they will have to dry up, right.
You can probably pick up one for $300.
If it has a good pump in it you will be way ahead (Have you checked the price of the pump from Mercury??).
rebuild it and keep it for a spare!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Registered

Tom Huber can build your MerCtrans to be reliable for up to about 550 hp. Any prop that fits an Alpha or std. shaft Bravo will also fit the TRS. And I see that you found out for yourself that with the MerCtrans (as opposed to the B/W), there would be very little weight saving with the transmission part of the conversion --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 11-18-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Registered

The MerTrans internally is very similar to Ford stuff. A fellow I know who specializes in the buiding of dragstrip automatics recommended some special clutches manufactured by Raybestos. I used these clutches and Type F ATF and so far so good.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rodger
The MerTrans internally is very similar to Ford stuff. A fellow I know who specializes in the buiding of dragstrip automatics recommended some special clutches manufactured by Raybestos. I used these clutches and Type F ATF and so far so good.
Yep, that's the way to go! And Huber works a few other "magic tricks" to get the pump to hold up. I also cryo-treat all moving pump parts and shafts for added strength. --- Jer
Old 11-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpclear
Yep, that's the way to go! And Huber works a few other "magic tricks" to get the pump to hold up. I also cryo-treat all moving pump parts and shafts for added strength. --- Jer
I have an 87 Buick Grand National that's making around 625 HP @ the flywheel. It has the 2004R trans, which is considered to be weak. One of the first things that break is the forward shaft. I had mine cryo-treated, it still broke. I ended up getting a billet shaft. So far it has held up great. I have built several automatic transmissions, so I can't imagine this merc trans being too difficult to rebuild and beef up. I wonder if anyone makes any billet parts for this thing?