Speedo  Connection >

Speedo Connection

Notices

Speedo Connection

Old 11-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedo Connection

I have traced down my speedo not working to the hose not being connected to the inner transom plate. Outside it is and the plug works but I can not seem to find where it connects on the inside ...is it accessable withthe engine in place? If so where is it. I have the end from the dash in the bilge back there but I do not know where to hook it up.....Make sense?

Help
Bryan
Old 11-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Speedo Connection

there is a small nipple on the inside port side of the transom just above the water intake hose on most mercs usually if it off water will come in though.
Attached Thumbnails Speedo  Connection-logo1111.jpg  
Old 11-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I can't answer you question. I would recommend getting a GPS speedo. They are not that expensive and eliminate the constant clogging and inaccuracy of regular speedos.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
there is a small nipple on the inside port side of the transom just above the water intake hose on most mercs usually if it off water will come in though.
I have undone the connection on the foot outside because I was gettin H2o in the boat from it. I need to reconnect the inside hose to the housing in the place you described. Is it possible to get to with the motor in the boat? So looking at it from the inside , it ( the nipple) is on the port side of the inner plate kind of up high....

Bryan
Old 11-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
I can't answer you question. I would recommend getting a GPS speedo. They are not that expensive and eliminate the constant clogging and inaccuracy of regular speedos.
I have a handheld already and I will get an in dash one when I replace the gages....wont be for a while....

just would like it to work since it is there.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Exact same problem here.

Mine (the exact same as yours) is actually within 1-2 mph of GPS. I got frustrated and an building a mounting plate to mount my handheld in the spot of the old speedo. Once I am hitting solid speeds I will probably go to a GPS speedo.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be accessed no problem with the motor in. Done it many times. While inside facing the transom, it is right under the the upper ledge, for lack of better discription, on the right hand side. Best to use a mirror to see it. If there is no hose to it, either it will have a 1/16" NPT pipe plug capping it off, or the hose has been kinked and taped, or you got water coming in all the time. The hose on the outside going to the yellow drive connector and the fitting in the transom plate actually install from the inside, so don't remove that fitting. The hose barb, or plug if not used, screw to that fitting.