Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel stabilizer/winterize questions? >

Fuel stabilizer/winterize questions?

Notices

Fuel stabilizer/winterize questions?

Old 11-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel stabilizer/winterize questions?

When adding fuel stabilizer, is it a must to run the engines for a while afterwards? It's getting cold and would be a pain to drag the boat back out and hook it up to the hose...

Any other little tricks I should know about that would make it easier come next spring?

BTW, I have the 496 ho's.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts
Default Re: Fuel stabilizer/winterize questions?

Don't have to run it. The fuel in the lines, fuel bowls or injectors just won't be stabilized. A small amount of not so good fuel that will just burn off quickly when you fire it up in the spring. I do pull the boat around on the trailer for a mile or so to make sure the stabil gets mixed in with the fuel.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't recall exactly what happened,but a few years ago I had to put the boat in indoor, heated storage without running the motors after pouring in the Stabil. I carefully removed one of the bottom screws of each Holley float bowl and drained the gas into a small can (remember...I said carefully). Then I put some gas in a small container and added some Stabil to it and stirred it. Somewhere I came up with a Turkey baster that has a stainless steel body (I don't know that a plastic one wouldn't work). I added the gas mixture back into the float bowls through the sight hole for adjusting float level. My logic was that the needle/seat, passages in the carbs,etc was what really needed the protection. All this happened 4-5 years ago. I've since learned my lesson and get the gas conditioner in coming back from my last run of the season. For what it's worth....
Old 11-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Fuel stabilizer/winterize questions?

Bottled fuel stabilizer like Stabil brand has a shelf-life of 12 months. So buy fresh dated stabilizer to stabilize with. Got that?

Some of these products have oil based compounds in them too and can foul plugs. Stabil works pretty well for about 8-9 months they say if you mix it right....that would mean filling up...adding the right amount...and going out for a little run to mix it around...then pull off the fuel filters if it is a loooong storage and fill them 1/2 way up with stabil and run the engines for a few seconds to suck some in and fill the fuel bowls or injectors.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Harper220
When adding fuel stabilizer, is it a must to run the engines for a while after wards? It's getting cold and would be a pain to drag the boat back out and hook it up to the hose...

Any other little tricks I should know about that would make it easier come next spring?

BTW, I have the 496 ho's.

In this case then just add to your fuel tank and if possible attach to a trailer and move it back and forth to mix...if that's not possible just add the stabil and forget it....then fill the fuel filters up 1/2 way with stabil and run the engines a couple seconds to suck it in...that will prevent varnish on the fuel bowl or in the carb....my .02
Old 11-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if you're filling up your filters with stabil, it sounds like there is no damaging negatives from overmedicating your fuel tank/injectors with stabil? I have always wondered if too much was also bad.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by zahndok
So if you're filling up your filters with stabil, it sounds like there is no damaging negatives from overmedicating your fuel tank/injectors with stabil? I have always wondered if too much was also bad.
There are no adverse events associated with loading up on Stabil by filling the gas filter 1/2 full and running it on in. It will coat and lubricate injectors and it prevents oxidation. Additionally, you will not get varnish formation and gumming up which is to be avoided at all costs. It will also get onto surfaces of the intake and exhaust valves and protect them.

The best tip for engine storage besides this is to use Mobil-1 20W-50 V-Twin as it has an anti-corrosion additive package that will coat engine parts for up to 8 months of continuous storage. .