Wiring 4-10" subs >

Wiring 4-10" subs

Notices

Wiring 4-10" subs

Old 11-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Wiring 4-10" subs

How many Channel amp do you guys recommend for running 4-10" subs. They are dual voice coil 4 ohms each. I want to know how they should be wired and what kind of amp I should get. This is for the backseat of my cigarette mistress.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 913 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Wiring 4-10" subs

you can go either 1 2 or 4 chan amp depending on how much juice you want to run...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You have a lot of options.
I would get a mono amp, on first coil run the positve to the amp & the negative to the positve on the second coil. Then run the negative of second coil to the amp. This is 2ohm load on amp which most can support.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the make/model of the speakers that you want to put in there? PS: I'm kinda new around here but I am an Audio Engineer...
Old 12-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Registered

These are the subs that I have, here is a link to the website describing them. I have 4 of the x series DVC at the bottom. Give me some ideas on how to wire and how many channel amp I should buy. What amps are a good value for the application.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Registered

link didn't make it in your post, try again or just tell me the make and model.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I try and not drop the ohm load to much on boats. It kills the batteries quickly and the amps run hotter. With that many DVC Speakers you can run almost any ohm load that you want to. It is hard to explain how to wire this up, a diagram is best. I would stop in at the place that you got them and have them show you how to do it for a 4 or 2 ohm load.

Jon
Old 12-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Registered

Re: Wiring 4-10" subs

Here is the link for the subs that I have that I forgot above. The subs are the ones on the bottom of the document. Help and a good amp for this application would be great. I don't want to spend a fortune on an amp, but I don't want to cheap out either. Thanks in advance.

www.geocities.com/bajalion/speaker
Old 12-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Registered

OK 2 concerns, first I've never heard of these things but you stated that you already own them. Number 2 most speakers unless otherwise stated are meant to be mounted in speaker cabinets. Mounting them in your back seat is called a "free-air" setup and the speaker has to be designed for that otherwise premature speaker failure can occur. But for now let's cast that aside. If you do mount them in your bench seat, stuff that seat full of "stuff" life vests etc...
Now you have (4) 250 speakers. That's a total of 1000 watts so you're going to need a 1000 watt amplifier but at what ohms??? Simple... These speakers have 2 voice coils each being 4 ohms. There will be 2 + terminals and 2 - terminals on each speaker. What you should do is take each speaker and wire the 2 voice coils in series. Do this by taking a wire from Voice Coil 1's - and wiring it to Coil 2's +, do this for each speaker. This will make the speaker as a whole an 8 ohm speaker. Now imagine or layout those 4 speakers all in line and take the + from the 1st speaker and wire it to the + of the 2nd speaker and the third and so on. Now do the same for the - terminals. You are now wiring the speakers in parallel thereby lowering the ohm load. Since each speaker is now 8 ohm, 8 divided by 4 = 2 ohms. The ohm rating for the group is now 2 ohms. The first speaker in the group will be the one connected to the amp. Now which amp?? I can list a whole bunch of stuff but I'm short on time tonight. So here's a hint or two. You now have a 1000 watt/2 ohm load. You need to find an amplifier, single channel is ok that makes 1000 watts rated at 2 ohms. You can go over by 50% meaning that up to a 1500 watt amp at 2 ohms will work. If you are still having problems with my description, let me know and I will make a schematic for you. Also let me know if you haven't bought these speakers yet and I will give you a great setup that's meant to work in a bench seat.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Registered

I have enclosure for the subs that our mounted behind the subs. There is one box sealed for 2 subs and then 2 subs sealed for the other. So I think they will be good. I think the the 2 boxes are 1.25 cubic feet each. Thanks for the tips. I am looking for some good sound but I understand that this setup will have limitations. My last boat I had 2 boston pro's with bass radiators. I ran them off of an old soundstream 750. That was a loud setup and pretty good quality. Could you recommend a couple of manufactures for amps that are decent quality. Thanks in adavance.

Quick Reply: Wiring 4-10" subs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.