Notices

Cleaning Bilge

Old 01-10-2006, 05:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning Bilge

Originally Posted by nordic95
What paint did you use?spray or brush?did you sand and prime?It really looks good all cleaned up,nice job.
I was going to use bilgecoat but the $25 a quart seemed steep. I followed some recommendations I got here on OSO and used Rustoleum. I used a roller and brush. The paint was only $6 a quart. It holds up to well to most fluids and dirt. I did spill a few drops of "liquid electrical tape" and it ate through the paint.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

rustoleum is chit dude, 6 bucks a qt way to go big spender! it will look horrible after a few gas / oil spills, you must use a 2 component paint like automotive spary only or better yet awlgrip or sterling that you can brush it if you use the brushing reducer, and it will look great and stay that way for years. use rustleum for patio furniture, its like house paint.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
rustoleum is chit dude, 6 bucks a qt way to go big spender! it will look horrible after a few gas / oil spills, you must use a 2 component paint like automotive spary only or better yet awlgrip or sterling that you can brush it if you use the brushing reducer, and it will look great and stay that way for years. use rustleum for patio furniture, its like house paint.
Well, I've spilled various fluids on it and it held up. The guy asked for opinions / ideas, I gave mine. Take it or leave it. If I had a $200K boat I probably would of used something more exotic. Oh, and BTW, patio furniture often sits OUTSIDE 24x7x365, through all temp, and weather, HMMMM....

Last edited by Dave M; 01-10-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Cleaning Bilge

I pour a can of brake cleaner in the bildge before I go out, drain & rinse after returning. This is after painting bildge with Bildge Cote with a brush.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Is there a paint that has teflon or some kind of antistick coating in it that is compatable in the bilge? My bilge has small bottom stringers that hold water in the corners and it ALWAYS gets stained. No mater how much cleaning I did the water would always stain the bottom
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning Bilge-11-16-04-011.jpg  
Old 01-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

another
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning Bilge-11-16-04-009.jpg  
Old 01-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Registered

Re: Cleaning Bilge

phughes69,

There should be small weep holes in the corners to let the water drain to the bottom of the bilge ,take a small wire an clean out the hole,pour 1or2 cans of brake cleaner with a couple gallons of water,take the boat out a few times then drain an flush out with water. all boats leak some fluids so it's an ongoing thing
Old 01-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Registered

Awlgrip is the way to go. No if and's or but's. It's relitively expensive but so is fuel. Your bildge will cost less than one weekends fuel in most boats. If you have your motors out do it right and be done with it.

If you oil pan has a hole are you gonna JB Weld it so you can afford a blower? Just doesn't make any sence to me, but maybe it's just me.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The bottom stringers do not have small weap holes. I have thought about filling in the lower edges of each little compartment with epoxy or something so they will not hold water. Any other suggestions? How can Awlgrip be applied, brush, roller or spray?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phughes69
The bottom stringers do not have small weap holes. I have thought about filling in the lower edges of each little compartment with epoxy or something so they will not hold water. Any other suggestions? How can Awlgrip be applied, brush, roller or spray?

Awlgrip can be applied by brush roller or spray. Be sure to buy the correct converter.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Bilge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.