Weight of SBC vs BBC >

Weight of SBC vs BBC

Notices

Weight of SBC vs BBC

Old 01-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weight of SBC vs BBC

I'm very curious of the weight difference between the small block and the big block. We are thinking of repowering the'86 28 Cig with small blocks instead of big blocks. The boat seems a little azz heavy. Or could the savings be had with aluminum intake, manifolds, and heads? Yes, it has TRS. Currently, in the water, off plane, the water line at the transom is within an inch of the rub rail.

I'm not sure if this boat came from the factory with big blocks. I've been told that the 28 Cig runs the best with small blocks because of the weight.

Your Help is Greatly Appreciated!

Big Andy
Old 01-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Weight of SBC vs BBC

I remember reading a MerCruiser spec. sheet and I think it said the big block package was 228 lbs. more than the small block.

I have driven the 28' Cigarette many times and it's a much better boat with the small blocks. It felt too tail-heavy with the 454s.

There was a 28' with a pair of very healthy Lingenfelter small blocks and TRS that was the best down here. Somebody bought it and I never see it anymore.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, Some did come from the factory with the big blocks. I would go with the all aluminum stuff if you are in fresh water. If you are in salt I would go with some FWC 320hp 377 or somthing similar. Or better yet add alum exhausts to the Small Blocks.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I had a 1978 28' Cig with 280TRS engine and drives. That boat sat vary low even with the small blocks...
With out question the boat handles better with small blocks too.
I agree with Ironman, stroker smallblocks is the best way to go. And even then try to lighten them up with aluminum exhaust and maybe even aluminum heads...
Have fun! you have a great old classic!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Smile Re: Weight of SBC vs BBC

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
I had a 1978 28' Cig with 280TRS engine and drives. That boat sat vary low even with the small blocks...
With out question the boat handles better with small blocks too.
I agree with Ironman, stroker smallblocks is the best way to go. And even then try to lighten them up with aluminum exhaust and maybe even aluminum heads...
Have fun! you have a great old classic!
A friend just replaced his cast-iron MerCruiser manifolds and risers with GLM aluminum in his 29' Baja. He had to get bigger props to stay off the rev-limiters! He flushes both engines every time after use and then drains the fresh water out of each manifold.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked into A Dart block. I know you can put some serious stroker kits in the SB Chevy. A friend has a 434 & its indestructible, & they can take some serious HP also.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had A 30 Scarab With 400hp Small Blocks And It Out Ran Alot Of Big Block Boats!sb Just Lacked The Torque!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Registered

Thank-You for all the helpful info! I will most likely go with stroker small blocks. Reason being...I want the TRS's to last at least another season. After this season, I will probably switch the drives to Bravos. I'm also curious about the Center of Gravity when I convert to Bravos. Should the engines remain in the same location with a short driveshaft or should the engines slide aft, where Bravos are normally mounted?

Thanks
Big Andy
Old 01-12-2006, 06:28 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thumbs up Re: Weight of SBC vs BBC

Originally Posted by BattleCry
Thank-You for all the helpful info! I will most likely go with stroker small blocks. Reason being...I want the TRS's to last at least another season. After this season, I will probably switch the drives to Bravos. I'm also curious about the Center of Gravity when I convert to Bravos. Should the engines remain in the same location with a short driveshaft or should the engines slide aft, where Bravos are normally mounted?

Thanks
Big Andy
Put them back at the transom without a driveshaft and you will LOVE the extra room in front of the engines for service accessibility.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a 28' with a pair of very healthy Lingenfelter small blocks and TRS that was the best down here. Somebody bought it and I never see it anymore.
i saw the boat at dollar a buddy of mine worked there it ran strong and pulled like a freight train with those 383 lingenfelter motors

Quick Reply: Weight of SBC vs BBC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.