camshaft wear >

camshaft wear

Notices

camshaft wear

Old 01-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: camshaft wear

Also, Joe Gibbs has a 20W/50 racing dino oil that is loaded with the good stuff for lots less $ than their synthetics. --- Jer
Old 01-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Registered

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered

To answer the initial question or post, yes I lost a cam lobe with an Ultradyne after about 125 hrs. I used Mobil 1, 15-40. This was a special problem with Ultradyne Cams for a while.

My question on the racing oils, are do they offer the qualites needed for extended oil change intervals? Are they high detergent so you don't have to change them every 5-10 hrs of operation? Oil change intervals are not an issue with racing engines, but for recreational performace boaters it is. Infact, this post is scaring me because I do not want to wipe out another flat tappet cam because of oil issues, but I don't want to have to change it every other time I go out either. Somebody help me out here!
Old 01-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whiteknuckle
To answer the initial question or post, yes I lost a cam lobe with an Ultradyne after about 125 hrs. I used Mobil 1, 15-40. This was a special problem with Ultradyne Cams for a while.

My question on the racing oils, are do they offer the qualites needed for extended oil change intervals? Are they high detergent so you don't have to change them every 5-10 hrs of operation? Oil change intervals are not an issue with racing engines, but for recreational performace boaters it is. Infact, this post is scaring me because I do not want to wipe out another flat tappet cam because of oil issues, but I don't want to have to change it every other time I go out either. Somebody help me out here!
500 miles at or above 9000 rpm is probably more abuse than most of us recreational boating guys submit our engines to in a given year. But if you think that you drive further and harder than that, you should change it once in mid-season. --- Jer
Old 01-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Registered

I'm talking about dirt and ability to deal with moisture. All the things that oils for consumer usage is designed to do. Of coarse I don't subject my boat to the equivalent of 500 miles at 9000 RPM smart ass.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered

I really wasn't trying to be "smart". I probably DO have a customer or two who will subject his equipment to comparible abuse in one season. Getting your oil temps up to 212* F should vaporize any moisture, (You should do this with any oil) and proper filtering should do the rest. I change my filters (I use a dual filter system) midway through the season and just top off. --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 01-16-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:11 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input. I bought the boat from the orig. owner he lost a cam in less than a year got it warr. had engine rebuilt. I bought it with two hours on it and it lived for ten more hours this time. Completely wiped out one lobe and was working on four others.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Registered

Go back to RMBuilder's post #8 here. That first 2 hrs. break-in time on a flat tap cam is SO critical! --- Jer
Old 01-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Registered

I've heard 2 things on various auto/engine forums.
1) Bad batch of cores from china. Just poor grade material.
2) Comp cams recently cam out with a statement blaming changes in oil formulation. They reccomend Rotella oil for break in.
See: http://www.compcams.com/information/...yID=1985582846
Old 01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Registered

Since I have an engine apart and it needs a new cam, I will bite the bullet and go roller.

Quick Reply: camshaft wear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.