Notices

anti-seize

Old 01-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anti-seize

I am finally going to start putting my winter project back together.I have received all my transom parts back from the media stripper and started painting them today.I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer before I get started on assembly.

1) Shifter cable for my bravo one came in the mail with a 8" long spiral shield,what is that for?I have merc book and they don't show this in there.Also when removing old cable from bell housing it was seized in place and I had to cut and drill out the brass sleeve.This cable was just replaced two years ago.What would cause this and can I use anti seize here.

2) can I use anti seize on stainless bolts going in to aluminum.Like my exhaust rams into the gimbel bolts.I did a search on never seize and it seems like there are mixed opinions here on the board.

3) I am now running aluminum heads.Can I still use the stainless spark plugs?Can I used a little anti seize here or should I use something else?

4) when I install my gimbel bearing the merc book shows using lock tite on the outer ring before installation.Is this right?sounds like It would never come off next time around.

5) My last and most stupid question for the night.How come nobody makes and exhaust manifold that would have a sleeve of some sort welded thru the water passage and into the dry area of the exhaust so a wide band oxygen sensor can be installed to set carbs and tune engine.Like the stand alone kits they sell in Summit Racing for the hot rods.

Thanks,
Nordic95
Old 01-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: anti-seize

my rule NEVER EVER EVER use anti seize in a marine app (it contanes copper will f**k it up every time) use mercury 101....;..

if I see someone that works for me using it(anti sieze) Ill fire them on the spot!!!!!!!

shift cable at bell housing....merc wants you to use there version of aviation peratex there (perfect seal)

dont use lock tite on gimble brg expanion ring does its job just fine

the spirel nylon shield is to help stop chaffing use your disscresion is all ill say

Last edited by GOODT; 01-23-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Registered

Goodt,

Where can I get merc 101?I also need bellow adhesive ,and spline grease,etc. Seems I can't find a site that sells just merc. chemicals.

Thanks Nordic
Old 01-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Registered

ok, 101 west marine or any merc dealer...

bellows adhisive I like to use 3m supper wether strip adhesive stronger and dries quicker aval at any good autoparts store

spine grease I like to use 101 0r merc 24c but people will disagree with that but hey been using it 25+ yrs with out a problem
Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
ok, 101 west marine or any merc dealer...

bellows adhisive I like to use 3m supper wether strip adhesive stronger and dries quicker aval at any good autoparts store

spine grease I like to use 101 0r merc 24c but people will disagree with that but hey been using it 25+ yrs with out a problem
Is the merc 101 anti seize or grease?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered

Ive also been using neversieze for 25 years with no problem.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

they do make anti-sieze without copper. in nuclear situations they use nickel based anti-sieze on there turbines.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered

Any one with a reply to my last question?Does 3m make a marine anti seize?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nordic95
Any one with a reply to my last question?Does 3m make a marine anti seize?
Here's an answer to your last question. I made my own spacer to go between the manifold ond elbow on my Imco Powerflows.. Used 1 inch thick aluminum and traced a gasket on it and machined it on a Bridgeport. Drilled and tapped the side where there wasn't any water passage and screwed in my O2 sensor for my Innovate O2 meter. I should make another for my other engine so I can swap back and forth .
Attached Thumbnails anti-seize-dsc01173-medium-.jpg   anti-seize-dsc01174-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
Here's an answer to your last question. I made my own spacer to go between the manifold ond elbow on my Imco Powerflows.. Used 1 inch thick aluminum and traced a gasket on it and machined it on a Bridgeport. Drilled and tapped the side where there wasn't any water passage and screwed in my O2 sensor for my Innovate O2 meter. I should make another for my other engine so I can swap back and forth .
That is exactly what I'm talking about.It is much easier to tune with an O2 sensor then trying to reach those plugs for readings all the time.That is a great idea to use that spacer.I have Revolution Marine manifolds , I'll take a look tomorrow to see what I can do with them as far as adapting something to them.I would like to see both motors wired to one guage on the dash with a switch to go back and forth from motor to motor.

Quick Reply: anti-seize

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.