Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ? >

Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?

Notices

Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts
Default Re: Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?

Prochargers are one of the easiest ways to make reliable horsepower. The biggest thing if being installed by a back yard mechanic type of guy is getting the initial tune correct,professional tuning on the dyno then fine tuning in the actual boat yields the best ,reliable, results. Once the initial tune is correct as long as you maintain correct fuel pressure they are problem free. A common misconception about all centrifugal superchargers is that they "only make power on the top end". The truth is they are still pumping air,even at idle,and the faster you turn them the more air they pump. My home built 540 with a m-3 makes almost 800 ftlbs of torque at 3000 rpm's,hits 850 ft lbs of tq by 3500,peaks at 962 ft lbs at 4700 and doesn't drop below 850 ft lbs until around 5800rpm's.My motor also has a fairly mild hydraulic roller cam, will idle smooth at at 750 rpm's at 10 inches of vaccuum and runs on pump premium.To come anywhere close to these power levels with a conventional roots type blower you would need a agressive solid roller cam and more radical cylinder heads along with shorter valve train life and rebuild intervals.The only thing they don't have is bling factor,Smitty
Old 02-07-2006, 03:28 PM
TC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GPM, Wish I could show you some numbers. The engine was never run on a dyno. Maybe someone on the board could give us some insight on the actual HP. The engine is stock on the inside other than the installation of FelPro head gaskets at the time of Pro Charger install. He is running the M3 set up and Lightning Headers. As far as speed numbers goes, it will break into the lower 80's on a regular basis.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

were putting prochargers on three 555c.i. for the cig...hope to see around 960 horse each, will share our experience once finished and pics
Old 02-07-2006, 04:47 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TC
GPM, Wish I could show you some numbers. The engine was never run on a dyno. Maybe someone on the board could give us some insight on the actual HP. The engine is stock on the inside other than the installation of FelPro head gaskets at the time of Pro Charger install. He is running the M3 set up and Lightning Headers. As far as speed numbers goes, it will break into the lower 80's on a regular basis.
My mistake, I should have typed out, Tomcat.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

GPM: I was hoping to have numbers in time for Miami but we are behind schedule. Soon...
Old 02-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Tomcat your new system look really good.I have spent the last year working on a new project and have now got back in to this project.Will stop and hi at the show next week.Should I give them a little taste of what these things can make for power.
Dave
Old 02-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah Dave.. Show us.. How are you doing anyway???
Old 02-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Registered

Dave: Give me a call when in Miami; that's my cell # above. I'm glad you're back on the supercat project. I can't wait to see that thing run.

For sure, let the cat out of the bag..., I sure will when I have the numbers to show.

P.S. We have to take at look at the centrifugal system Keith Eickert has built. Supposed to be on display in Miami.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahhh that big gun system is sooo bad azz....
tomcat: just curious as you are very knowledgable on superchargers, is it possible to create a supercharger for a 2stroke outboard?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Registered

Dave: I just noticed the change in rotation to the blower.

375stinger: Two strokes have been supercharged, I don't know any details but it has been done.

Quick Reply: Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.