AAAARRRGH!! Milkshake AGAIN!!!!!!!

Notices

AAAARRRGH!! Milkshake AGAIN!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Guys -

I know this is a freakin' old thread but I wanted to post what the root cause of my once lingering water/oil issue was. Ready for this?
The outfit that installed my supercharger inkake manifold used bolts that were too long and bottomed out in the heads. It was a difficult problem to find since the bolts were just long enough to make an impression on the intake gasket so when I took it apart, everything looked normal, but too long such that because they bottomed out, there was not enough clamping force at the intake to head interface. It was so close that it would only leak while near WOT conditions. A stack-up measurement of the intake/gasket/thread depth compared to the bolt length showed the two to be nearly equal. I knew that just couldn't be good.
0.100" shorter intake bolts = problem finally solved

Thanks OSO!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the solution for this and all others like it was taught to me when i was 17 years old by the proverbial old master...

whenever you are ready to put in a critical piece of hardware, you need to be able to screw it in ( preferably with your fingers) until it tightens WITHOUt the washers... then you take it out , ad your sealants/locktite/lubes etc AND the washers and you can assemble it knowing you have the .060 or .080 bottom clearence that the washers give you.

has saved me more times than i can count.