496 Exhaust restriction picture

Notices

496 Exhaust restriction picture

Old 04-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 496 Exhaust restriction picture

Originally Posted by Kanookstr
Unfortunately they were not designed for water reversion. They are designed to trap any condensation that might occur after engine shut down. By trapping this condensation it prevents any chances that the condensation can reach the iron valve seats/guides. this problem is seen more in the northern states where the water is much colder. It is more of a problem for people who keep there boats in the water. A proper idle down time before stopping the engine will help reduce the chance of this condensation from happening, They will do nothing to stop or prevent reversion. The fact that they reduce the exhaust hole from 3 1/4 down to 2 1/4 is a definite restriction.

I plan on cutting mine down to maybe 3" so to have some protection , but better flow.
If you are worried about the problem by removing them, then going to an after market exhaust will still give you the same condensation problem, because the after market exhaust don't have the tubulater design neither.

The picture is also deceiving because the cut is not thru the center. So you can't really see the 1" difference in hole size.
Upss..I mix up those two terms, you are absolutly right, itīs prevent water CONDENSATION not reversion. GIL marine exhaust also sells this plate and just call them turbolatorplate.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine out and wasn't completely happy w/ the results,,, the motor was pulled to replace the transom assembly and gimble, the dealer doing the work re-installed them, i'm gonna see how she runs before I decide if i'm gonna take them out again.. I honestly dont think there are any measureable gains I know some people have seen 2-3 mph, I couldn't even be sure I saw 1 mph..
Old 04-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told by people that sell the CMI's for the 496's you may not see a increase.

They do look restrictive

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chris288
I took mine out and wasn't completely happy w/ the results,,, the motor was pulled to replace the transom assembly and gimble, the dealer doing the work re-installed them, i'm gonna see how she runs before I decide if i'm gonna take them out again.. I honestly dont think there are any measureable gains I know some people have seen 2-3 mph, I couldn't even be sure I saw 1 mph..
Yes but if I remember Chris, didn't you Try without the plates first thing after winter storage? And ended up having an other problem so you weren't to sure that it was due to the plates.?
I would definitely try a practice ride and then remove them the same day to do a good comparison. So far everyone I talked too noticed at least 150 more rpm.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:42 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I was told by people that sell the CMI's for the 496's you may not see a increase.

They do look restrictive
If I was selling a $4000. product I wouldn't want to admit removing a restrictive turbulator plate for $ 0.00. would show some increase

Knowing there has been numerous dyno tests showing averages from 10 - 15 hp increase is good enough for me.
Now take that times 2 engines

Last edited by Kanookstr; 04-28-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Registered

I saw a noticeable increase in power, maybe as much as 2 mph, but that is on a boat that's just 21 feet in length and very responsive to power increases (i.e. when going from 300 hp to 425 hp I picked up more than 15 mph). Mid-range torque seems to have abit more pop as well. The gaskets cost just $10 a piece, and the swap is not very time consuming - I'd recommend to anyone that they at least try it.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Registered

Default Resrictor plates on HP 500 also????

I know many have had success with removing the restrictor plates from the 496 mag/ho exhaust. I have an HP500 and was looking at some diagrams of the GIL Exhaust for this motor. It appears that this motor also has restrictor plates. see link below.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...NIFOLD%2FELBOW

Anybody have any experience with these on the HP500?

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fbh-velocity
The reason why the restrictor plate are build in is to prevent water reversion. Under run it gets really hot caused to the thin sheet metal and non cooling area and will catch the water and steam it out. Just an insurance from factory
BINGO ! What a way to hit the nail on the head !
look at the old Gil manifolds and they have a similiar plate for the exact same reason. BBB
Old 02-27-2021, 10:09 AM
Registered

I have been reading up on 496 MAG posts after newly joining this forum. I will be pulling risers to inspect this spring and was boning up on the manifold design. Those cut outs are a great view! There are good articles on Perfpro tech and hardin marine about turbulators. The bluf is they are to accelerate exhaust flow up and out (along with any moisture buildup) and trap moisture buildup which may occur during the cooling process. They will provide exhaust backpressure and pressure drop but in the end I would not hesitate to risk changing the design to get a few more hp and will be spending the money to re-install them as designed.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by PENN YAN
I have been reading up on 496 MAG posts after newly joining this forum. I will be pulling risers to inspect this spring and was boning up on the manifold design. Those cut outs are a great view! There are good articles on Perfpro tech and hardin marine about turbulators. The bluf is they are to accelerate exhaust flow up and out (along with any moisture buildup) and trap moisture buildup which may occur during the cooling process. They will provide exhaust backpressure and pressure drop but in the end I would not hesitate to risk changing the design to get a few more hp and will be spending the money to re-install them as designed.
This is an ancient thread but my Donzi 22 came with a 496 HO. I installed CMI headers for $6,000 and saw ZERO performance increase. My manifolds were the aluminum versions and the ports are huge. Now I'm running a 525 which does need the headers. If you have the aluminum manifolds then leave them alone!
The following users liked this post:
87MirageIntruder (02-27-2021)