K&N Flame Arrestor Elements >

K&N Flame Arrestor Elements

Notices

K&N Flame Arrestor Elements

Old 02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Flame Arrestor Elements

I've read many good reviews regarding the use of K&N arrestors. However, no one has addressed any concerns of "Backfire" from the carb into these cotton/synthetic elements.

What keeps the element from catching on fire especially if you oil the element as advised by K&N? Am I missing something?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Registered

Default Re: K&N Flame Arrestor Elements

I've never seen a problem with them. Just about every race car on the planet runs them, and they are prone to backfiring because of the cams in them.

The oil actually protects the fibers from burning. Oil will burn, but must get much hotter than a backfire to ignite it. Try lighting motor oil on fire with a match... Won't happen.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmherbert
I've never seen a problem with them. Just about every race car on the planet runs them, and they are prone to backfiring because of the cams in them.

The oil actually protects the fibers from burning. Oil will burn, but must get much hotter than a backfire to ignite it. Try lighting motor oil on fire with a match... Won't happen.
I have never tried to ignite straight oil but if liquid gas sticks to those elements coated with oil, I would think it would be like mixed 2 cycle fuel. VERY FLAMMABLE !
Old 02-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered

Perhaps the filter oil has something in it to prevent burning?

All I really know is I use them in the boat and have in past cars. I have NEVER heard a bad thing about them (besides the cost of the cleaning/oiling chemicals), including fire hazard. I know several people who race cars, they all use them. Can't say I seen a paper element car filter on fire/burnt either.

They are USCG approved flame arrestors. The Coast Guard wouldn't approve a flame arrestor if it were a fire hazard itself
Old 02-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Along time ago I had a bad combonaitin on a SBC and it would back fire thru the carb all the time ,bad!!It never was a problem on the K&N.

I wouldnt worry about it

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Registered

Looks like K&N will be the choice. Besides, thats what the Halon system is for!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The oil in the filter is to catch small dust particles. It also acts as a flame retardant but it's not the primary purpose.

We run K&N elements in our own flame arrestors and have never seen a problem with backfire.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: K&N Flame Arrestor Elements

K&N filter elements that are sold and approved for marine use are Coast Guard approved for flame supression from backfire and actually use a different filter medium than the non-approved automotive units. For Marine use our tests have actually shown that these elements in some situations can slightly restrict high rpm air flow enough to lower power levels. In most marine enviroments where air quality is very good, the stock flame arrestor may be the best for power especially if the throat opening of the flame arrestor or air cleaner assembly is venturied for improved flow. Don't get me wrong, K&N are quality products and definitly needed in dirt and dust enviroments, just don't ever expect an air cleaner to add power or improve breathing unless the stock equipment is poor and restrictive. In most cases the OEM marine manufacturer has done a lot of testing to make sure the stock flame arrestor is a pretty good part. If you want to spend your money more wisely then look to improving the boats running surface, prop efficiency and drive efficiency as real speed increases come from efficiency in these areas a lot quicker than products for marine engines that can suppossedly add power "up to and as much as" that appears in far to many magazine adds. In marine engine power, "There's no free lunch!".

Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered

A buddy of mine (yes you mark!) washed out the elements with parts cleaner, actually left them in the tank for hours when he took them out and dried them overnight they shrunk a good 3/4 inch, too funny. Who sells replacement filters?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Andy,
I just bought two at Parts Source. What size does he need?

Quick Reply: K&N Flame Arrestor Elements

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.