Drive oil in the bellows.alot

Notices

Drive oil in the bellows.alot

Old 03-05-2006, 07:35 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive oil in the bellows.alot

Did a pressure test over night and it never moved.put back on the boat and in 4-5 hrs. a bottle of drive oil leaked in the bellows and bilge.help
Old 03-05-2006, 07:45 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Drive oil in the bellows.alot

Dayum Rich!!! Better get that chit fixed....I brought up SML with the Boss last night it's looking good!!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:52 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Dayum Rich!!! Better get that chit fixed....I brought up SML with the Boss last night it's looking good!!
Trying bro.Hope you and Les make it down to SML but if not the Jammin on The James is a MUST do.15 spots left on that one.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Registered

Since the bearings need to be preloaded correctly, have this done by someone with the right tools and know-how if you dont have them.

There is a seal and o-ring in the pinion gear/u-joint shaft assembly. They need to be replaced. I would also inspect the timkin bearings very closely and replace if needed. The lock nut on the end should also be replaced as it is used to set the bearing preload and if reused, may not stay put.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Registered

alot of times the press from testing will actually make the seal seal tighter thats why I do a vacum test also, if you have drive lube in the bellows, replace the input shaft seal and o ring......
Old 03-05-2006, 07:58 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by formula31
Since the bearings need to be preloaded correctly, have this done by someone with the right tools and know-how if you dont have them.

There is a seal and o-ring in the pinion gear/u-joint shaft assembly. They need to be replaced. I would also inspect the timkin bearings very closely and replace if needed. The lock nut on the end should also be replaced as it is used to set the bearing preload and if reused, may not stay put.
Thanks.My mech. said the samething.This drive was rebuilt back in july by the manufactor and when i called them,all they would do was send me those 2 seals.drive as about 45 hrs. on it and has leaked like this since.Will it be ok too test props today as long as i watch the drive bottle to make sure it has lube.lube did come in the bilge too.checked everything in the engine compartment for leaks too but didn't find any.

Last edited by docmanrich37; 03-05-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Registered

wouldnt advise running the boat until you correct the problem, there could be other things causing your problem...ie bad brg heating up creating press in the drive ect.....
Old 03-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Registered

Yea, I wouldnt either. You need to have that preload checked. Too many people overtighten that nut thinking it should be tightened and wipe out the bearings. Ive seen units from merc that the preload wasnt even close. Theres a procedure where the assembly is hung from the case and the turning torque measured and the nut is tightened until the turning torque is 6-10 inch pounds. Any good Merc shop should know how to do this correctly.

Get it done, somethings wrong in there. You can buy the timken bearings on the open market. Figure around $50+ for the set. Let me know if you want the numbers but they are on the bearings and cones too.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula31
Yea, the turning torque is 6-10 inch pounds. Any good Merc shop should know how to do this correctly.

6-10in lbs for new brgs.
3-6in lbs for used
Old 03-05-2006, 08:48 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for the info now i'm gonna have to do the honey do list instead.

Quick Reply: Drive oil in the bellows.alot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.