Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Reversion what is the impact? >

Reversion what is the impact?

Notices

Reversion what is the impact?

Old 04-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Reversion what is the impact?

Originally Posted by Rage
What is the "QUIT SYSTEM" of which you speak?

Silent Choice, it reverts the exhaust through the bottom of the gimble vs the tailpipes
Old 04-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rage:

Your 496HO engine is an efi motor and if you got a fairly correct cam in there the LSA of the cam is the most important number. On a 496 efi that number should be between 115 to 119 degrees. If its not you could develop a serious reversion problem. If your motor idles smoothly down at 650 rpms in gear I suspect you have a correct LSA and reversion should not be a problem for you.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nordic 95?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry. Disregard "Nordic 95?"
Old 05-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Registered

Is reversion more prevalent in a blower motor with a blower cam?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Rage:

Your 496HO engine is an efi motor and if you got a fairly correct cam in there the LSA of the cam is the most important number. On a 496 efi that number should be between 115 to 119 degrees. If its not you could develop a serious reversion problem. If your motor idles smoothly down at 650 rpms in gear I suspect you have a correct LSA and reversion should not be a problem for you.

Ray @ Raylar
Is a higher LSA number or a lower LSA more of a reversion problem?

What would be the reversion potential of LSA114 degrees in your opinion?

Bill
Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Re: Reversion what is the impact?

Rage
They are talking about quick & quiet or silent choice exhaust, where your exhaust can be switched between a full thru the prop exhaust and out the transom tailpipes. These systems can back exhaust exit water back up in the sytem and lead to some serious reversion. with the cam spec you've listed on your 496 with a probable 116 to 119 lsa on that fuel injected cam, reversion won't be a big issue, but valve and seat corrosion can be. The stock GM iron heads come with iron head material machined in head seats and cheap steel valves that can rust when subjected to cool down moisture in the system especially on the valves that are left hanging open, This is why we use high quality stainless steel valves that are QPQ nitrited in our aluminum heads. No corrosion period!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Rage
They are talking about quick & quiet or silent choice exhaust, where your exhaust can be switched between a full thru the prop exhaust and out the transom tailpipes. These systems can back exhaust exit water back up in the sytem and lead to some serious reversion. with the cam spec you've listed on your 496 with a probable 116 to 119 lsa on that fuel injected cam, reversion won't be a big issue, but valve and seat corrosion can be. The stock GM iron heads come with iron head material machined in head seats and cheap steel valves that can rust when subjected to cool down moisture in the system especially on the valves that are left hanging open, This is why we use high quality stainless steel valves that are QPQ nitrited in our aluminum heads. No corrosion period!

Ray @ Raylar
Thanks as always for the information Ray.

Just to make sure I understand you, the LSA on my cam is 114. I thought that a given physical cam can have only one LSA. I am unclear about your meaning when you said "with the cam spec you've listed on your 496 with a probable 116 to 119 lsa".

Does reversion increase when the LSA is a (1.) larger numerical value i.e. greater than LSA119 or (2.) a smaller numerical value i.e. less than LSA115 or (3.) both when the LSA is a larger numerical value i.e. greater than LSA119 or a smaller numerical value i.e. less than LSA115.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

All it takes is a mist of water to spray onto a red hot exhaust valve and kaboom....
Old 05-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rage
Thanks as always for the information Ray.

Just to make sure I understand you, the LSA on my cam is 114. I thought that a given physical cam can have only one LSA. I am unclear about your meaning when you said "with the cam spec you've listed on your 496 with a probable 116 to 119 lsa".

Does reversion increase when the LSA is a (1.) larger numerical value i.e. greater than LSA119 or (2.) a smaller numerical value i.e. less than LSA115 or (3.) both when the LSA is a larger numerical value i.e. greater than LSA119 or a smaller numerical value i.e. less than LSA115.

Thanks,

Bill
Ray?

Quick Reply: Reversion what is the impact?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.