Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Upgrading Alpha Gen I to Alpha Gen II? >

Upgrading Alpha Gen I to Alpha Gen II?

Notices

Upgrading Alpha Gen I to Alpha Gen II?

Old 04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Alpha Gen I to Alpha Gen II?

So this year I'm doing some big restoration to the interior and exterior of the boat. All new upholstery, gauges, radios, stereo, lonseal, compounding and graphics.. the works.

Next year comes the motor and drive so I'm starting my planning now. I know my boat isn't typical OSO caliber, but you guys are *the* source for boat tech info and upgrades, since all the other forums focus on what carpet cleaner to use and best cover to buy.

My plan is to build the engine up to low-mid 300HP at the prop shaft. It currently has a gen I alpha. I don't plan to be violent out of the hole and don't have to worry about too much air, but I don't like the idea of possibly being stranded with a busted drive so I want to play it safe, if I can do so without breaking the bank.

Is it any cheaper to upgrade to a gen II alpha than it would be to go to a Bravo? My research suggests that either would need a bellhousing swap. The Alpha gen II may not need a new transom cutout, or only minor mods at that, but the bravo change would be more significant there.

Am I smoking crack? Should I just build up to the reasonable limit of the gen i and call it a day?

Thanks for your advice!
-Chris
233 Eclipse
Old 04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading Alpha Gen I to Alpha Gen II?

To swap a Gen 1 to Gen II the entire drive/transom assembly needs to be changed. The bolt pattern between the upper drive section and the gimbal assy is different than the Gen 1 pattern.
To swap to a Bravo, everything needs to changed too, but the only extra modifications that's needed is two new holes drilled in the transom. The Bravo has two more mounting bolts than the Alpha. All other holes will line up. You'll need a raw water pump and a few other items but I hear it's really easy to swap to a Bravo.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading Alpha Gen I to Alpha Gen II?

Either leave it a Gen I Alpha and take it easy or switch to a Bravo.