Help with valve spring parts Please!

Notices

Old 05-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I hav e Gen V 502 with about 500 hours on it. The engine is untouched GM Marine, except for Gil exhaust. I am going to purchase the Edelbrock Aluminum RPM Marine oval port heads that come with the valves and seals. My dilema is what other parts should I order to finish off the installation. I was thinking Comp springs and Harland Sharpe roller rockers. I am loooking for advice on what Valve springs, retainers, locks etc. I should use. Please include exact part numbers and only proven solutions. Since I will be going from Rectangular to oval port heads I will also need a new dual plane intake manifold, Edelbrock RPM or Wold dual plane? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Old 05-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Help with valve spring parts Please!

Edelbrock RPM
I just installed a set of Ovals two weeks ago.
I had the machine shop order the springs. I wanted the height setup correctly without using any shims. Going off memory I think I used COMP CAMS 926 dual springs. We ended up adding no shims or any modifications.
The valve guides did have to be honed because they were to tight.
Its cool when you pick them up with one hand
Old 05-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Bartho,

"rmbuilder" Bob Madara of Marine Kinetics in N.Y. would be a good guy to consult and can get you everything you need for your valve train. He has helped engineer marine combinations for many on here. Bob's number is (585) 654-8583
Old 05-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: Help with valve spring parts Please!

For that stock block/cam setup, use the Comp 26120 beehive ovate springs and Comp recommended retainers and locks for these springs. Your cam, roller lifters and rockers will be happy, reliable, heat free and long lived.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Bart,
I have seen so much variation in cylider heads lately that I simply will not order valve springs, retainers etc until I have the heads on the bench with the valves that are being used so that I can measure installed height. Period ! Get the heads and valves, have your machine sho check the dimensions, then order the rest of the parts. I know this is a pain, but its the only correct way to do it. By the way, Edelbrock and GM do not seem to like using a spring locator seat on thier aluminum heads. I dont like to do it that way and try to find a spring that will work with the .050" thick locators. Less wear and tear on the heads in the long run.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I will get the heads with valves in my possession to determine install hieght then go from there. I think I am liking the Isky springs. I would like to order the Roller rockers with the heads, so has anyone used a roller rocker with the aluminum Edelbrocks that they are pleased with? I am located in Phoenix Arizona, does anyone have a cylinder head shop recommendation in my area?
Thank You,