throttle cable adjustment

Notices

throttle cable adjustment

Old 05-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle cable adjustment

I repowered from a 502 MAG MPI to a HP525 and I need to take some slack out of my quicksilver 3000 throttle/shifter as it has about an inch of play after you shift into gear where nothing happens.

I feel where the rpm's should be increasing but they don't until I have the throttle pushed in about an inch further.

Then at WOT it seem that I have the shifter strecthed at a full forward (horizontal) position.

Is there an adjustment that can be made?

Picture 1 is at WOT
Picture 2 is in neutral....note the black roller is not al the way up in the track?

Thanks,

Jamal
Attached Thumbnails throttle cable adjustment-img_0423email.jpg   throttle cable adjustment-img_0467email.jpg  
Old 05-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: throttle cable adjustment

ok first off the merc 3000 shifter is a piece of junk I real sprized that you up graded to a "blue mtr" and didnt upgrade the shifter

if it is threaded the barrel can be turned to get rid of the play but do your self a favor and get a better shifter if noting else if you dont want to spend the money for a livorsi shifter teleflex makes a nice replacement for the 3000
Old 05-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wink Re: throttle cable adjustment

Joe,

I have been searching for an upgrade for the junk merc 3000, and the estimate I got from my Marina was around $3,000 for a custom Livorsi Trottle Pod and Controls install.

Since I bought the HP525 before I told my wife, money got tight for the moment

Any input for mods are appreciated but would be for the next winter project. The Teleflex I am thinking about is a similar system to the 3000 right?

Meanwhile, I would like this merc 3000 to work to its potential. How do you adjust it to take out the slack? To turn the treaded part, which end do loosen and which way should I turn it?

Thanks,

Jamal
Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cone shifters like the Bravo and Volvos are suppose to have a bit of slack to allow them to fully engage before any throttle is applied. Smart move would be just to make sure you get full throttle and leave tha slack alone.

Phil
Old 05-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Phil,

How can you tell if you get full throttle? It does feel like that the trottle runs out of movement "range" before the motor feels stressed or out of steam.

I had the same throttle control with a 502Mag MPI and it had the initial couple of inches of play when you put it in gear...but then the throttle kicked in right away as you moved past the shift point.

Since the HP525 install, there is an addition inch of throttle movement where nothing happens. Then at WOT the throttle control is an inch or more beyond what the 502MAG MPI ever needed for WOT. It feels like I am stressing the control unit.

Any imput?

Thanks,

Jamal
Old 05-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Registered

here check these out much better then the 3000 and even look great, if Iremember right they go for about 300.00 they do require a little cutting if binicale mount but not much

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bi...s&product=1064
Attached Thumbnails throttle cable adjustment-usa-g-ch75001-small-.jpg  
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered

here are the out lines from the manual for adusting the throttle for the 525 efi

there is not supposed to be any play but here it is in writing
Attached Thumbnails throttle cable adjustment-l010.jpg   throttle cable adjustment-l011.jpg  
Old 05-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joe,

Thanks for manual instructions. I thougt that that would be the issue...it was correctly set up after all.

There is something else causing the extra slack. See the pictures:

1) Throttle in drive at idle
2) Throttle position before it increases RPM's
3) WOT which seems way to far forward...it feels like it is being over extended, yet the motor feels like it could still use some more throttle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jamal
Attached Thumbnails throttle cable adjustment-img_0413-2-.jpg   throttle cable adjustment-img_0414-2-.jpg   throttle cable adjustment-img_0421-2-.jpg  

Old 05-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered

other then a streched cable this is the side mount version of the teleflex shifter it is a ch1700
Attached Thumbnails throttle cable adjustment-l013.jpg  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Registered

I have the same throttle control on my Scarab... you guys post new controls... how hard are they to change out?

Quick Reply: throttle cable adjustment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.