Altanator question >

Altanator question

Notices

Altanator question

Old 05-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altanator question

I'm currently running a old style Mando alternator with three wires that incorporates a regulator .Can I use a new style high output alternator with one wire.If so I assume you just connect the red wire from the new alternator to the old red wire and cap the other two wires off. The boat has a volt meters not an amp meters in it.Will the new alternator affect the meters from working properly
Old 05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Altanator question

I was never too impressed with the Mando alternators. I don't know why Mercruiser puts a POS like that on their engines. I had to replace one at Lake Powell and it cost me $500. I switched over to a single wire unit and haven't had any problems. Just hook up your charge wire to the output on the alternator. You can tape up the others to keep them out of the way. When you start the engine, you may have to rev it up a little bit to get the alternator to start charging.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did the same to my Formula. Dumped the Motorola four wire 51 amp alternator for single wire 100 amp.
I just hooked up the orange lead to the output post, connected the ground wire to the case, and heat shrinked the others. The volt meter works. I was told it may read a bit low, but everything should be OK.

The only problem I had was the 100 amp is a larger size outer case. I thought it would be fine, but found that the port side motor mount was in the way. The alternator had little room to move for belt adjustment, about 1.5"-2". I figured how much shorter the belt had to be and hit NAPA. Found what I needed, but the aternator had come off before installing the belt. Once the belt was on and mounted in place it needed no adjustments. Was tight right away.

Ran it this weekend all is fine. It's nice to have an alternator that really works.
When running you'll find that it may not charge till RPM's hit about 1000+. Once charging it keeps on going.

Bought mine at www.dbelectrical.com

Last edited by Iggy; 05-30-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ditto what Iggy said. DB electric kicks azz!http://www.dbelectrical.com/
Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Registered

Did both one of mine 2+ years ago. The volt meter will stay low till you rev above ~ 1000RPM. Haven't had any problems so I am doing my other one this year.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Registered

Thanks for all of the input guys