500HP EFI Oil Filters >

500HP EFI Oil Filters

Notices

500HP EFI Oil Filters

Old 05-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500HP EFI Oil Filters

Any thoughts on the best /cleanest way to change the inverted front mounted oil filters on the EFI 500HP'S?

Does any one make a bracket with a built in drain ?

I looked at it first and said great this bolt must run through the housing and allow you to drain it first. WRONG the bolt doesn't go through. Short of trying to catch the oil in a bag and then soaking up the old oil in the filter housing with rags along with getting oil stains in the freshly cleaned bilge. I am stating to think the old 502's weren't so bad.

I have heard of some people punching a hole in the filer first but that option doesn't thrill me. Any thought from the experienced would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan
Old 05-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: 500HP EFI Oil Filters

Real simple insider trick

take a screw driver and hammer it throught the filter let it drain for about 30 min screw off no mess no fuss
Old 05-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a special screwdriver for the task that has a shank about 3/8" square. Its also just long enough to only go through the filter, and not extend into the housing. (Planned it that way.) It used to be a flat head but I ground it down to a dull point. One whack with the hammer, and its in the filter. I have been doing this for years without one incident. You do not even need 30 minutes if the engine/oil is warm. 15-20 minutes and you pop off the filter with no mess. Its the first thing I do when I shut the motors down from pre-oil change warming; so the oil filter starts to drain down to the pan and out the oil pan drain immediately.

I was just as leary as you to punch the hole in the filter the first couple times. I actually prefer this setup/method (facing down) as opposed when the oil filter faces up now that I know the trick. There are a few aftermarket remote oil filter brackets and flip brackets for most engine applications, but then you are removing a filter that is full of oil to the outer O-ring gasket, and unless you place it in a bag, you will have some drips.

Don't miss the screwdriver with the hammer. I think the only thing that could go wrong would be if you damaged the integrity of the outer case of the oil filter, and it began to collapse on you when you apply an oil fiter wrench.

Insert the screwdriver directly down the top of the filter, right in the center of the flat spot on top.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-30-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Same as above, your changing the filter any way, put a hole in it and come back to it after you've pumped your oil out and changed your seperator. I use a punch and a hammer.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drilled and tapped a drain hole in the housing. Threaded in a 1/8 nipple pipe fitting, a female to female elbow and a pipe plug into that. Now at oil change time, i just unscrew the pipe plug and drain the filter and housing into a can. No muss, no fuss, no hammer needed. Took about 15 minutes to modify the housing.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you dont want to hammer into your old filter take a plastic 1 quart oil container and cut in half the long way around. Leaving the cap on, slide it under the oil filter as you unscrew it and the old will drip into it.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

When I install the new filter, I like to remove the bracket
(2 bolts) and twist it over on the rubber hoses so that I
can install the new filter upright and full of oil.

Pesky Varmint
Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pesky Varmint
When I install the new filter, I like to remove the bracket
(2 bolts) and twist it over on the rubber hoses so that I
can install the new filter upright and full of oil.

Pesky Varmint
Now thats a good idea!!

Will have to try that one.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a much easier way if you don't want to punch any holes. I just simply run the engine up to temp, then loosen the filter but don't take if off, just loosen it enough to break the seal. If you look at it the filter seal will be above the filter housing and you will see oil kind of sucking in and out, but not leaking. let it sit like that for 10 or 15min. and it will be empty. Or just punch a hole it the top and call it a day.

Airpacker, I like your drill and tap idea!

Frank
Old 05-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the input and advice. For know I will vent and let drain, someday I will install a drain plug set up.

When I did this it was in a rain storm so the oil was not as warm as I like. That may have been why it did not drain out of the housing after the filter was removed.

I do agree when ever I can, I fill the filter prior to install which would be nice about a different bracket.

Thanks again for all the great ideas, Dan