small block question heads/cam combo

Notices

small block question heads/cam combo

Old 06-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default small block question heads/cam combo

I just did heads and cam on my boat,I have mixed feelings about the results,you guys seem like you know about small blocks,I would love to get opinions here.
For now I reused my short block,280 hrs,very well kept and clean,I have dart sportsmanII heads with 64 cc chambers,cam is crane 114 lca 212/[email protected] with.446/.459 lift with an edelbrock rpm dual plane and 650 holley DP,timing and jetting seem close.
I have a 88 chris craft 245 limited last season with stock engine with only intake and carb mods I got 50 gps with 21 mirage at 41-4200 rpm,46 with a 19 P mirage at 4400 rpm,now I get 50 with 19P at 4800 and not sure on 21 yet,I had a vibration start as soon as I started planing with the mirage,I let out and put the 19 back to finish the weekend,I did not want to break anything yet,long weekend!! I will try to find out what the vibration was this weekend.? I thought I may have gotten a tad more,it for sure planes alot better but I hear people going faster than me with stock motors!! boat empty is supposed to be 3800 pounds.

The only thing I did not totally check is enough fuel at the top end,I need to continue plug monitoring to see if they can get darker,pretty light right now,can a (new ) stock pump flow enough?
I am going to do a compression check to see if everything is cool.
What kind of power numbers can I expect?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: small block question heads/cam combo

Four MPH gain for what you did with a SB in a heavy boat is decent, I built a 383, Dart heads Pro Mod Lunati internals and a reasonable cam. I have a 22 Donzi 3200 pounds and gained four & a half, it takes a lot more HP then most realize to make big speed gains in any boat.

Phil
Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 PM
MOP
Registered

Curious what you have your top timing set at?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MOP
Curious what you have your top timing set at?
I figure some gain is better than none,I do realize boat hp/mph gains are totally different than a car,i have been boating with a friend that took years to get his formula 311 to a gps 80 mph,not easy,(for sale)!!! now has the a 353 to play with,anyway,I am maily trying to see what others have gotten for results,not alot of small block guys here!
If I can remember the timing is at around 30 total,I am going back to do more tuning this weekend,I did not want to mess with it much on a holiuday weekend,I am worried why the boat vibrated with the 21 mirage,I did not even let it plane to see,I put the 19 on and it was smooth,i kn ow the prop is ok because I ran it last year,I may not have had it seat right..??
I will try again on sat for the 21.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:46 AM
MOP
Registered

I brought up top timing as I went a bit conservitive at first running 30 degrees, bumping up to 32 degrees which gave me just short of 1 more MPH.

Phil
Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cam seems small.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
the cam seems small.
Mine? I figured I was going to try to keep some torque in it,I did a few different cams on desktop dyno and this seemed the best for my application,I could not get any good answers from anyone on the net or local engine builders so I did as much as I could,I will take any recommendations from people if they have them,this was the first chevy engine I ever built,I have all fords on the street.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MOP
I brought up top timing as I went a bit conservitive at first running 30 degrees, bumping up to 32 degrees which gave me just short of 1 more MPH.

Phil
I plan to play a little more with it,what cam do you have? what are the specs?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 245 limited
Mine? I figured I was going to try to keep some torque in it,I did a few different cams on desktop dyno and this seemed the best for my application,I could not get any good answers from anyone on the net or local engine builders so I did as much as I could,I will take any recommendations from people if they have them,this was the first chevy engine I ever built,I have all fords on the street.
Im no expert by far, just looking at the specs, thats the first thing that came to mind. I would expect a little more duration.

maybe the cam experts will chime in.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree,not knowing alot about chevys I was trying to keep it simple,I can change cams fairly easy if I remove the seat,I may if someone can tell me what to run!!.

Quick Reply: small block question heads/cam combo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.