wiped a cam lobe yeterday

Notices

wiped a cam lobe yeterday

Old 06-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts
Default wiped a cam lobe yeterday

any body got an idea why i wiped a cam after only 60 hours aon a motor, soft cam, running to fat thinned oil, ****ty oil pump, i dont get it.............540 na eagle rotating assem,dart iron heads,comp stud girdles,crower rollers good springs, i thought i did everything right.............
Old 06-11-2006, 06:30 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: wiped a cam lobe yeterday

What type of cam? Roller, flat tappet. hydraulic, solid? Whos cam?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may have your valve spring pressure too high or your cam missed the hardening process.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be axial cam drift, happened to me. The cam position is maintained only by the timing chain. If there is even a slight amount of chain slop, the cam can drift forward or rearward. When that happens, the angle of the lifter contact changes. This can cause the lifters to stop spinning on the cam lobes (yup, they spin). Once the lifters stop spinning, the lifter and the lobe will be wiped out almost immediately. However, this condition will usually effect more than one lobe/lifter. Are you sure you only wiped one?

There is a fix for this, they are called cam buttons. Its a little thrust bearing captured by the cam gear that is set up with maybe 10-15 thousands clearance to the front cover. As the cam migrates, the bearing touches the front cover and limits axial drift. These cam buttons are used in continuously high RPM applications (like boat engines).

Just a thought for you to consider.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Could be axial cam drift, happened to me. The cam position is maintained only by the timing chain. If there is even a slight amount of chain slop, the cam can drift forward or rearward. When that happens, the angle of the lifter contact changes. This can cause the lifters to stop spinning on the cam lobes (yup, they spin). Once the lifters stop spinning, the lifter and the lobe will be wiped out almost immediately. However, this condition will usually effect more than one lobe/lifter. Are you sure you only wiped one?

There is a fix for this, they are called cam buttons. Its a little thrust bearing captured by the cam gear that is set up with maybe 10-15 thousands clearance to the front cover. As the cam migrates, the bearing touches the front cover and limits axial drift. These cam buttons are used in continuously high RPM applications (like boat engines).

Holy sh*t 'Bird! That was an outstanding post!
Old 06-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

solid, comp cams i think i have crappy oil pressure, and when we fired the motor for the first time i had no oil pres.... I think thats when i damaged it, and low oil pressure damaged it over time.....short time i am changing everything tore down the motor today only needs mains and cam but i am going through all the bearings......Changing to jesel system and going with a blower 1071 fork it,,,,,

thanks for your help guys
Old 06-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ThirdBird

i had a little timing chain slack it was a combination of things.........
Old 06-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
Holy sh*t 'Bird! That was an outstanding post!
Lets not be calling him a $hit Bird. He's an intelligent guy and knows a lot about "thrusting" as it relates to AXAials. Told me that if your AXAial drifts fore or back it causes alignment problems and can result in shaft damage. Did I explain that right Third Bird ?????
Old 06-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Lets not be calling him a $hit Bird.
I was wondering if somebody'd catch that.

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
He's an intelligent guy and knows a lot about "thrusting" as it relates to AXAials. Told me that if your AXAial drifts fore or back it causes alignment problems and can result in shaft damage. Did I explain that right Third Bird ?????

All I can say is...WELL DONE>>>BRAVO>>>BRAVO!!!!

How to I paste this into the other thread???
Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
I was wondering if somebody'd catch that.

All I can say is...WELL DONE>>>BRAVO>>>BRAVO!!!!

How to I paste this into the other thread???
Well beyond my capabilities. But no doubt you are working on it.

Quick Reply: wiped a cam lobe yeterday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.