Putting an engine back in a boat.... >

Putting an engine back in a boat....

Notices

Putting an engine back in a boat....

Old 06-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Putting an engine back in a boat....

I could use a lil' help on this one.

1996 29 scarab
509cid Whpple motor
Bravo 1
Steelings extension box

I know theres quite a lot of do it yourselfers due to mechanic costs. I know 388 and some other guys who had threads on rebuilding and installing their motors.

I posted last week about a mechanic screwing me over and I'm working on getting all my stuff back from the marine mechanic. I've had enough with marine mechanics B.S. to last me a life time. I'm going to install my engine and outdrive over the 4th of July weekend. I've never done it before.

I wasn't there when he took it out or when he took all the accessories, bellhousing, engine coupler, exhaust, engine mounts etc off the engine. I am very mechanically inclined and use to build big blocks and race cars back in the day. I think I have enough savvy to do it.

Is this job that complicated once you get the engine complete with everything back on it? I mean, from the looks except for wiring ,fuel and exhaust it looks like you basically drop it in and line the motor mounts up. I'm not sure about what has to be lined up behind the engine with the inner transom plate, drive shaft and other things.

I have access to a fork lift and tools to install it. I was also told with the extension box the mechanic was going to go back with solid mounts because alignment would be easier.

Some serious input from you guys would greatly appreciated

Thanks@!
Shawn
Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

Default Re: Putting an engine back in a boat....

I pulled one out and installed the replacement in little over 3 hours. Had a friend who had a backhoe and did the lifting. The biggest pain for me was lining up the splines on the tranny. I set a motor last year with Bravos by myself in 2 hours, Bravos waaaay easier. Spent another 5 hours doing exhaust, wiring, connecting hoses, etc.

Word of advise do it early in the morning or later in the evening, I did mine starting at noon and in Vegas it was 105, I think I drank 2 gallons of water and wore gloves, tools get hot and so does anything black on the motors.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks PANIC!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Registered

Buy one of those manuals from Seloc or Clymer. They are a great help if you have not done it before. They are actually a great help even if you have done it before. It is easy to forget in which order to do things.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Set your motor on the mounts then use a angle finder to make sure crank flange is parrallel (at same EXACT angle as flange in stellings box. I bought 2 little plastic angle finders at graingers for 10 $ each,put one on each flange,box flange was really close to 90 degrees so i cranked trailer until it was at exactly 90 degrees then adjust motor until its exactly the same,used a mirror from the back to read them but I have the gimbal/transom assembly off box still. Once you have them parralell tq all your motor mount bolts until tight and re-check. Start putting parts on near back (power steering cooler,starter wires,water pump hoses,wiring etc) and work up and forward. Put exhaust and belts on last.Its a suck job but not the end of the world,me and my son been working on mine doing same exact thing all day today,Smitty
Old 06-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Piece Of Cake, I Can Have Mine Out In No Bullsheet About 45min..........

I Pulled It A Week Ago Did Cam New Oil Pump And All Jesel Valve Train Components, Changed To Crossovers And Re Plumbed All Oil Lines With Aeorquip..........going Back In As Soon As I Am Done Typing This...........

F Those Guys Down At The Local Marina, They Know Only What The Mercury Books Tell Them......buy A Case Of Beer And Tell A Couple Of Your Buddies To Come Over And Give Ya A Hand..........they Ride In It All The Time ,time To Pay The Fiddler Back............
Old 06-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Registered

THe hardest part is finding something to pick up the engine and put in boat. Since you have a fork lift, your biggest problem is solved. Cake walk for you now. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for the input!! This is one of the reasons I luv this site!!

The marine mechanic cut the battery cable to get the engine out.

He also cut a motor mount because he said the WHipple extra fuel pump was in the way.

Where can I find another motor mount???? And how much are they?

Thanks!!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Registered

Is this the one your looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercr...spagenameZWDVW
Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by vandeano

Thats it bro!!!

Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Putting an engine back in a boat....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.