Opinions on Max Worx Drives and Phaff Motors

Notices

Opinions on Max Worx Drives and Phaff Motors

Old 07-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Question Opinions on Max Worx Drives and Pfaff Motors

Specifically, the Pfaff 600 Challanger EFIs. And I'm not sure what version of the Worx drives are on the boat, I'm awaiting a call back from Max's.
Please let me know the good, bad and the ugly, if there is any Ugly! I've heard good things about both shops, but I want to hear some first hand opinions.
Thanks,
Dean

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 07-06-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Re: Opinions on Max Worx Drives and Phaff Motors

I can tell you that as an engine company here on the west coast, that Paul Pfaff has a great reputation for building excellent motors for many years. the Max Machine Worx drives also seem to have a good reputation for use behind 500-700HP powerplants out here also, but I don't have first hand expierence with them.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Opinions on Max Worx Drives and Phaff Motors

Not sure what others may have experienced, but I bought some new Bravo One drive internal parts from Max Machine Worx several months ago and have run into some trouble with some of those parts not fitting properly and when I called them to explain it they sort of copped an attitude towards me and Mr. Gadgets about it. We were a little suprised.

Nobody likes getting problem calls, but we were cool customers with them and just wanted to explain to them what problems we were running into with the parts. They were willing to take a look at the parts, but they were real short with us about it. Not so sure I liked being treated that way after spending over $2000 with their company. Instead of shipping them back to Max Machine, I paid extra $$$ to have them corrected here locally.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

At 600 hp your max drives should last you several seasons if they are fully upgraded. I have found there shafts are a few thousandths too big also when fitting parts but its not the end of the world,yours are already assembed so its a non-issue. Like many other marine peformance companies,Max machine does good work (I have 2 of them) but there customer service can be sub par (don't return phone calls,parts show up with no invoice but charged to your credit card,if you get jason on phone he's on the rag or something,etc),Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on Max Worx Drives and Phaff Motors-ubly-oct-9-003.jpg  
Old 07-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks for the input guys, and I talked to Aaron yesterday, and he said he was going to look into something for me and call me back. Well the call back didn't happen, and I'll call today 1 more time, and see how well Max Worx does on the old the customer service meter!
Thanks again,
Dean
Old 07-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with above, the customer service stinks, but they do have some good stuff. I like the tower, and most all the caged bearings in the XR gears. The stock XR bearing is what gives more times than other things

So what are you getting??
Old 07-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll go on the defense for the max guys. jason and aaron have taken care of me and my drives for four years. 25 daytona with 1000hp quad rotor. no catastrophic failures. lower gears were pitted and replaced this winter during routine maintence check. have had broken shift mechanism and a cable problem that they took care of at 4 in the afternoon on a saturday. they are an extremely busy shop, run by guys that know their stuff about drives and have to deal mainly with people who have broken stuff that want it back asap and consider their problem everyone elses number one priority.
i have had "short" phone conversations with them also...
so maybe they missed charm school one day but thankfully they know their **** about drives...

pfaff...good stuff comes from this motor shop...

gm
Old 07-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Linster
I have to agree with above, the customer service stinks, but they do have some good stuff. I like the tower, and most all the caged bearings in the XR gears. The stock XR bearing is what gives more times than other things

So what are you getting??

L,
Sent you a pm
Thanks,
Dean
Old 07-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ttt
Old 07-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting.. I have yet to see an XR gear bearing go?? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Dick

Quick Reply: Opinions on Max Worx Drives and Phaff Motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.