Procharger install problems on 7.4 MPI 310HP

Notices

Procharger install problems on 7.4 MPI 310HP

Old 07-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Procharger install problems on 7.4 MPI 310HP

Originally Posted by DONZI33
It sounds as if you fuel pressure regulator gain is not set up properly. The fuel pressure may be but the gain rate to full psi may need tweaking. Procharger sells the regulator adjustment kits. I also have or can get you them as I am a distributor.. Also despite what others may say @ 5psi you should not have had to reflash the ecm on an otherwise stock unit for it to run properly.. I too have seen a bunch of hrs on procharged stock engines.. The key is not to be abusive and make sure you pamper it with services early ..

Jamie / Lakeside
I respectfully disagree - 5 psi without ecm recal = BANG! Have you talked to Zeke at Gruninger's?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 800XCR
I respectfully disagree - 5 psi without ecm recal = BANG! Have you talked to Zeke at Gruninger's?
No problem you are entitled to your own opinion.. I have installed numerous prochagers as a distributor.. Havent had any pop becasue of not recaling the ecm when set up properly. Not all of them need recals if set up properly. I never said that there werent exceptions to the rule. Dont just take my word for it, call ATI if you dont believe me, ask for one of the engineers like Dorian or Jim... Just out of curiosity are you an installer, or a boat owner with a SC?? I am not bashing you, I am just stating our experiences & Ati's installation & set up instructions and reccomendations.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 07-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No issue with procharger - just disagree with the install without ecm change.

Do I own a boat, not at the moment we are headed to the other side "cruiser" Last of the kids are gone and looking for a floating cottage.

Do you guarantee your customer's engines won't grenade without an ecm upgrade when you install a kit? If not, why not if you are so sure?

What parameters do you use to determine if an ecm needs reprogrammed before the engine is damaged?

I know that not all engines are created equal, but I would guess that the base 7.4 doesn't vary too much engine to engine. Why would one stock 7.4 require an ecm change and the next one not when the calibration is the same in all of them?

Not bashing either, just curious.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My personal experiences with Procharger installs on stock engines is that the ECU does not require recalibrating, only that the fuel pressure is raised.

The problem does definately sound fuel related. I would suggest the ECU be sent to Mark at Percision EFI or Tyler Crocket to be recalibrated back to stock or what ever they would suggest. I have not had great luck with AZ Speed.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 800XCR
No issue with procharger - just disagree with the install without ecm change.
I already specified why above as is did annother individual above. Whipple does recal or replace ecms depending on application, ATI does not.

Do I own a boat, not at the moment we are headed to the other side "cruiser" Last of the kids are gone and looking for a floating cottage.
If this is not your thing & not your field there is little reason to doubt me.

Do you guarantee your customer's engines won't grenade without an ecm upgrade when you install a kit? If not, why not if you are so sure?
I install them properly & as per the ATI's or Whipple's etc.. instructions. As far as guaranteeing that an engine will not launch at a later time due to a SC upgrade I dont know of anyone who would gurantee that an engine will not ever launch. If they do they are charging you extra for an insurance policy on it to redo it in some form or annother. For example there is a huge diffenece in price on installing an add on Procharger VS buying a warrantied blower motor from merc with a 90 day warranty. Nothings free, you alway pay for what you want in one form or annother. Some warranties are jokes & just not worth the money..

What parameters do you use to determine if an ecm needs reprogrammed before the engine is damaged?
If it is stock I leave the ecm alone unless after PROPERLY setting up the fuel & spark system it doesnt run or operate properly.. this is a rare exception. The only time I would recommend a recal is if you are running more than 5 psi boost and or you have done other major internal & exhaust mods. As this could throw off the ecms parameters it needs to see more than running 5 psi boost or less with a procharger.

I know that not all engines are created equal, but I would guess that the base 7.4 doesn't vary too much engine to engine. Why would one stock 7.4 require an ecm change and the next one not when the calibration is the same in all of them?
I addressed this in the above statement. Also As I said earlier Whipple & some others do require it due to thier fuel delivery systems etc... But again ATI's doesnt require it, it is only with some fairly rare exceptions that it ever needs to be done on a stock engine with a low boost procharger upgrade.. Also Ati has ECT sensor conditioners for certian applications if needed, as well as fuel psi reg gain realibration kits. Recaling a stock ecm on a low boost set up that wasnt installed with fuel & spark st up properly may actually mask a potential problem like the person who started the thread is experiencing. Once it is set up properly if you want to recal an ecm to further tweak a system is an entirely different scenario and may or may not be worth while depending on why one is thinking of doing it..

Not bashing either, just curious.
Neither am I, but I am an experienced installer and I am just stating what normal ATI procedure is. Where as you on the other hand are evidentally not an installer or operator of this sytem. Again I am not bashing you I am just stating the info & experience at hand.. Again if anyone doubts me feel free to ask ATI..

Jamie / Lakeside

Last edited by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS; 07-21-2006 at 12:25 PM.