New motor won't line up >

New motor won't line up

Notices

New motor won't line up

Old 07-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New motor won't line up

Lifted rear of the motor and definitely have center of bearing, up about 1/8th from b4. Can I double stack these fiber washers? That will get me centered.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You replaced the flywheel housing motor mounts? If so, the latest mounts, which I believe supercedes the old one, has a "serrated" bottom that is longer and doesn't use the spiral washer. It also lowers the back of the engine by a little bit, so in the mount kit they include a washer that can be used on "previous" installs and alignments. The washer isn't used on a new install, just to keep the same alignment if you use the new mount with a previously aligned installation. This is all described in the included instructions with the mounts. Does this sound like what you have? Another possibility is that when replacing the mounts you forgot the angled ring spacer above the mount in the flywheel housing.

The fiber washers are only to prevent hard noisy impacts between the parts if the engine mounts should take a big impact and let the parts hit.

If you replaced the gimbal bearing or transom housing, you will need to "align" the spherical gimbal bearing to aim the bar at the center of the coupler. Then you adjust the engine angle so the bar slides all of the way into the coupler.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered

replaced all the rear parts and still low when I tightened the rear mounts. I lifted it again and double stacked the fiber washers with two on each side. Problem corrected! Maybe not the correct cure but it works.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would be leary of 2 washer for fearof one of them splitting. I have heard of problems with the inserts in transome slipping down. Kinda rare I think but I have read of others needing to pin them so they do not move. Any chance yours have moved? What about alignment of gimble bearings? Was it replaced? Just throwing some ideas out here.

Motor change should not make that much difference or any at all really in the back of the motor to need that much adjustment. Something has moved and you really need to pin it down IMHO. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Registered

By inserts, what are you referring to? Are there pressed fittings in the transom plate?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes bushings are in transome plate. I thought I had a picture but maybe this will work. Make sure you have the lock washer spacer alone with fiber washer in correct places. Sorry probably double stating the obvious you have already checked.
Attached Thumbnails New motor won't line up-2253.png  
Old 07-23-2006, 02:40 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you replaced the gimbal bearing?
Are you using the Mercury Alignment tool or this thing you call "the pipe"?

Your statement,"The pipe goes through the middle of the g bearing but is in contact with the bottom of the g bearing showing front high, now what?
I am not sure I follow your explanation.
I am assuming the pipe is the alignment tool.
How can it be in contact with just the bottom of the gimbal bearing?
If the tool slides through the bearing, it will seat on the inner race and shoulder of the alignment tool. That means full contact around the face of the inner race, of the gimbal bearing.
There is more than meets the eye. The double stack fiber washer is not the answer.
Try Nordic95's advice.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fiber washers are not supposed to support the engine, they are there just to prevent metal to metal contact. Here is what affects the rear engine height by design:
Old mount in flywheel housing:
Thin tapered ring spacer above the mount in the flywheel housing
Rubber mount
Spiral wound washer
Newer mount design in flywheel housing:
Thin tapered ring spacer above the mount in the flywheel housing
Rubber mount, long end (serrated) down
Standard Washer (optional, to correct height if replacing older design)

Question, did you use spiral wound washers?

As others have tried to describe, you may be mistaking a misalignment of the gimbal bearing for an engine height problem.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Registered

Used both the alignment tool that wouldn't go in more than one half inch into splines and then bind up, and a "pipe" slightly under the inside diameter of the gimbal but would slip all the way into the coupler to see how far off the engine was and confirm the angle of difference between the coupler and drive input shaft. Once again it indicated rear of engine low. I had checked all of the pieces and parts, all are in and in proper order. Replaced fiber washers, spacer and spiro wound spring, still low, even with front of engine all the way down. Gimbal alignment not the problem. stacked one additional fiber washer and double stacking them still does not cover the height of the spiro wound spring and alignment tool slips in perfectly. The fiber washers do support the engine as one can look at them and they are indented after use. That small spiro wound spring does not support that entire weight, it does it in conjunction with the fiber washer. Not that this fix is perfect but all the pieces were in place and new and it was off about 1/8th. It aligns perfectly now. If it eats the coupler, I will post it.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
I just reread your post. You used (same block)
You have something wrong. That engine should line up just like the day you took it out.
Agree... When I went to a 502 from a 454 (new everything) I had to use washers to space it right... but same block should be all same same for alignment.

Last edited by Longrange4u; 07-24-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: New motor won't line up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.