IMCO Shorty and Maximus Question

Notices

IMCO Shorty and Maximus Question

Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: IMCO Shorty and Maximus Question

Originally Posted by 30 outlaw 2005
Is there a big difference between the sportmaster and bravo lower units?

The Sportmasters are CNC machined with a slightly longer skeg and built-in nose cone and come in a bare aluminum satin finish - much like the IMCO's. They are available in standard length and 2" shorter versions and all come with the 1-1/4" diameter propshaft.

>>>>XR Sportmaster Drive<<<<
Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Well, the shortie experiment went fairly well on my Laveycraft cat. 2" up yielded a terrible hole shot, decreased midrange and plus 5mph on top end. I've created a whole new set of circumstances just like everyone else.

Bret at BBlades is sending a Maximus and I have a 6 blade Herring coming as well. It is hard to have your cake and have it too. Stern lift comes with more blades as Smitty said. I don't need stern lift but Bret says the rake on the Maximus may be enough to overcome the extra blades. Its 50/50 in my mind that I'll go back to the standard lower, take the hole shot and midrange and give up the 5mph on top. Its more practical but I really hate getting passed. Quent
Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

Let me just say this...

Marginmn,

YOU ROCK!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:09 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Quent
Well, the shortie experiment went fairly well on my Laveycraft cat. 2" up yielded a terrible hole shot, decreased midrange and plus 5mph on top end. I've created a whole new set of circumstances just like everyone else.

Bret at BBlades is sending a Maximus and I have a 6 blade Herring coming as well. It is hard to have your cake and have it too. Stern lift comes with more blades as Smitty said. I don't need stern lift but Bret says the rake on the Maximus may be enough to overcome the extra blades. Its 50/50 in my mind that I'll go back to the standard lower, take the hole shot and midrange and give up the 5mph on top. Its more practical but I really hate getting passed. Quent

I have been thinking about trying a -2 shorty. I havent made up my mind for sure yet. Everytime I think I have decided to try it, something else tells me not to.
Anyway, what drive are you running? If you go back to the standard length, would you be selling the -2? I may be interested in it.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Checkmate, I have borrowed this 2" shortie in a potential trade. If I don't end up using it , I think its for sale. My drive is a Max Machine, 1:34 gear, IMCO shortie. It is frustrating, nothing new, to change one thing and have 3 or 4 more major adjustments to consider and make. The combinations seem endless plus the testing uses up money, quality boat time, and my motor and outdrive.

Junkies. All of us. Quent

Last edited by Quent; 08-24-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Quent,

I am definetly interested in the lower. While I cant use 1.34 gears, I can just put in a set of 1.50.. Keep me in mind if it doesnt work out for you.
You are right about one thing leading to another.. Thats why I just dont know if its worth the testing time on this one. My boat runs great like it is but as you said, we are never happy. Hopefully, my current prop a Hydromotive P-5X would be ok. The guys @ Checkmate told me it wouldnt work, but who the hell knows for sure.

Where are you located?

Vinny
Old 08-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
Quent,

...Hopefully, my current prop a Hydromotive P-5X would be ok. The guys @ Checkmate told me it wouldnt work, but who the hell knows for sure....

Vinny

Checkmate,

To whom at Checkmate did you speak? Try contacting Harold Kunkle at Kunkle's Marine in Ohio. Harold knows how to make a Checkmate go fast... like over 100MPH fast.

I ran him (or vice versa) a couple of years ago and whatever he was running made my 80+ look like I was traversing a no wake zone. I believe he was in a blue 25 Convincor.

***Note to self*** You know it's not going to be pretty when the guys that pull up next to you are wearing Type III vests with collars and helmets.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:04 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I spoke to Mike Koombs at Checkmate.
You are right about Kunkels, they are a good source of information on Checkmates. I just didnt think of asking him. I have spoken to him before about a handling issue I had. I led me in the right direction for the fix.

Jason Kunkel is running a big powered Checkmate. I have heard it runs in the 110 mph range.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Registered

Jason wasn't driving that day. "Mr." Kunkle was behind the wheel. Smiling a lot too.

...and, the 110 mark is about right for that little blue bas&*$d...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Additional saga. I borrowed a Hering 32 6 blade from Eric at EB Marine in Nashville for my shortie experiment. Thanks, Eric. I could only turn it 4650 with 1:34 gears, 104 mph GPS. I did the numbers 3 times and that is almost 0 slip. The B1 had 11%. That is 850 rpm short of my rev limiter but it absolutely came on plane without any ventilation and had great midrange unlike the 32 B1. The B1 bumped the limiter just a little at 108. My feeling, subject to change at any moment, is that the shortie is good for my cat.

Obviously, I need the right prop. I'm going to call Bret at BBlades Monday to see if one of his Maximus Labs in a 30 pitch might get me on the right track. If I don't kill my motor and drive in all this testing, this might be real interesting. It seems at this point that the shortie is the right lower, now for the elusive prop. Quent

Quick Reply: IMCO Shorty and Maximus Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.