Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Just what is Avaiation Grade oil? >

Just what is Avaiation Grade oil?

Notices

Just what is Avaiation Grade oil?

Old 08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just what is Avaiation Grade oil?

Not thinking of using it but I came across several quarts in my garage. I had a few Pennzoil 50wt and a couple of 70wt. At one time I used the 70wt. in my Briggs lawnmower to make it stop smoking. Just curious...
Old 08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just what is Avaiation Grade oil?

Simple basic here without specifics. Aviation oil has all the good stuff in it that protects your engine and that the "tree huggers" have convinced our government that we shouldn't use on the highways because it might plug a cat. converter and cause some smog that might warm the earth and make my boating season a bit longer up here in the North. Bottom line; If it keeps planes in the air, it should keep your marine engine running just fine. Just change regularly cause it doesn't have the anti-moisture additives that a good marine oil does, --- Jer
Old 08-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jpclear
Simple basic here without specifics. Aviation oil has all the good stuff in it that protects your engine and that the "tree huggers" have convinced our government that we shouldn't use on the highways because it might plug a cat. converter and cause some smog that might warm the earth and make my boating season a bit longer up here in the North. Bottom line; If it keeps planes in the air, it should keep your marine engine running just fine. Just change regularly cause it doesn't have the anti-moisture additives that a good marine oil does, --- Jer
Are you sure???? My understanding is it is a special purpose non-detergent grade oil.

I was always told by airplane junkies NOT to use it in anything else because it is MISSING most of the additives that automotive/motorcycle/marine oils have, such as detergents and other additves.

I was told they lack these additives to help prevent spark plug fouling.

I could be wrong, I am sure Hydrocruiser or someone else in the know will chime in.

On the other hand, if it will make the season longer up here...

Last edited by jmherbert; 08-22-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Registered

Think back to the ole radial engines, the clearances were alot bigger on a 1200 hp air cooled, then the current megga maxi rpm 2.0 sumthin litir? wanna be hp machines.....hence thicker oil............mineral and detergant blends later................
Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do Not use avation oil in anything but an airplane engine. It does not contain enough additive to protect a engine, even an airplane one. Ever wonder why they rebuild airplane engines all the time? They wear out. The oil contains organic additives so the plugs won't foul. It is one thing to foul a plug on the water but it's a whole new game to foul one at 5, 000 ft. Planes run at "steady state" operation. Up to altitude, set the RPM and let her fly. Organic packages do not have the "strength" of metallic packages which are found in other oils. The metallic additives could cause plug fouling so they don't use them. They tell you to re-build instead.
This is the same with TCW-3 oils, they also contain organics, clean burning and wont foul a plug at steady state operation. Great for trolling, not good for racing. Ken
Old 08-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered

I'm not in total agreement here, but I will shut up and listen. --- Jer
Old 08-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

Aviation oils come in diff "styles" there are straight mineral oils, non-detergent they are used in radials, old engines, and for break-in periods on rebuilds or cylinder replacements. there are also multi weight detergent oils, and synthetic blends in multi weight, i have used aviation oils in other air cooled engines (porsche) before with great success, as for as durablility of aviation engines, if taken care of properly, they will last 1500-2000 hours between rebuilds, in contrast the best automotive conversaion (chevys with 4340 crank and rods, forged pistons, inconell valves etc) only last 400-500 hrs. aviation oil is good stuff mabey not suited for liquid cooled applications though
Old 08-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jcburris
Aviation oils come in diff "styles" there are straight mineral oils, non-detergent they are used in radials, old engines, and for break-in periods on rebuilds or cylinder replacements. there are also multi weight detergent oils, and synthetic blends in multi weight, i have used aviation oils in other air cooled engines (porsche) before with great success, as for as durablility of aviation engines, if taken care of properly, they will last 1500-2000 hours between rebuilds, in contrast the best automotive conversaion (chevys with 4340 crank and rods, forged pistons, inconell valves etc) only last 400-500 hrs. aviation oil is good stuff mabey not suited for liquid cooled applications though

What he said..............
Actually, ran shell 50 det in my 67 camaro, 327, 12.5:1 marble motor, for years with no problems, I was the "gas guy" at the local airport and ran 100/130 also. (It was the only fuel it would run on!)