Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Rotella synthetic vs. Mobile one gold cap? >

Rotella synthetic vs. Mobile one gold cap?

Notices

Rotella synthetic vs. Mobile one gold cap?

Old 09-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rotella synthetic vs. Mobile one gold cap?

Anyone run or switched to the rotella? I'm changing the oil this week and both are available. Rotella seems to have a good rep in diesels.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Rotella synthetic vs. Mobile one gold cap?

Originally Posted by kennyo
Anyone run or switched to the rotella? I'm changing the oil this week and both are available. Rotella seems to have a good rep in diesels.

Rotella is a good product however,,,,there is a forum actually debating this issue....here ya go

M-1 has the edge I feel..it's tried and true..

http://www.rotella.com/ubbthreads/sh...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-05-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Rotella synthetic vs. Mobile one gold cap?

Thanks Hydro, I knew I should have just pm'd you.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Registered

Angry Re: Rotella synthetic vs. Mobile one gold cap?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Rotella is a good product however,,,,there is a forum actually debating this issue....here ya go

M-1 has the edge I feel..it's tried and true..

http://www.rotella.com/ubbthreads/sh...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Ok, Rotella is a Diesel engine formulated oil Peroid...
Thus being just so it is not formulated for a motor with an ignition spark advance. We can argue this out forever but, Rotella and similar oils work best in diesel aplications.
I was told this from more than one expert... including my Dad who drove over the road trucks for 50 years !!!
Rotella works well in Diesel trucks that have a reputation of running more than 1 Million miles ! with a complete teardown with minimal wear. But we're not driving trucks here on the h2o and have completely different issues as an over the road vehicle. I really believe that a hi performance boat needs a regular 25w 40 or 20w 50 normal oil to keep it where it has to be.
I was also informed that due to epa guidelines that the zinc has been removed from motor oils, and that this leads to excessive cam wear and other related problems . God Bless America !!! BBB
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Rotella synthetic vs. Mobile one gold cap?

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
Ok, Rotella is a Diesel engine formulated oil Peroid...
Thus being just so it is not formulated for a motor with an ignition spark advance. We can argue this out forever but, Rotella and similar oils work best in diesel applications.
I was told this from more than one expert... including my Dad who drove over the road trucks for 50 years !!!
Rotella works well in Diesel trucks that have a reputation of running more than 1 Million miles ! with a complete tear-down with minimal wear. But we're not driving trucks here on the h2o and have completely different issues as an over the road vehicle. I really believe that a hi performance boat needs a regular 25w 40 or 20w 50 normal oil to keep it where it has to be.
I was also informed that due to epa guidelines that the zinc has been removed from motor oils, and that this leads to excessive cam wear and other related problems . God Bless America !!! BBB
The biggest difference between Rotalla and a similar gasoline engine oil are the agents in Rotella to control soot from the diesel combustion process that enters the oil.

I think new Rotella formaulations may be rated possibly for both gas and diesel? Check it out!

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-06-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
This is why many of us have selected the m-1 vtwin 20/50 motorcycle oil as it has not been stripped of the beneficial qualities that were allowed in car oils.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the money, is the M-1 v-twin that much better than M-1 15-50? I am going to be changing oil this fall and debating which oil to select? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Registered

Post Re: Rotella synthetic vs. Mobile one gold cap?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
The biggest difference between Rotalla and a similar gasoline engine oil are the agents in Rotella to control soot from the diesel combustion process that enters the oil.

I think new Rotella formaulations may be rated possibly for both gas and diesel? Check it out!
I guess you mean the dertergents that mix everything together, instead of the soot(carbon) just floating around and creating problems. Especially getting behind rings and pushing them out...
I had seen a Diesel car engine many years back torn down by my dad with compression rings worn to about the thickness of a human hair !!! This b.t.w. is also caused by too much fuel or inacurate fuel timing on a Diesel. BBB