Notices

Fogging???

Old 09-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fogging???

I know there R some other winterizing threads going but I have what I think is a simple ? Can U just take off the air cleaner( on 525's) & spray fogging oil into the intake while running until the engine starts a smok'n??? Thanx 4 any input Wrink
Old 09-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fogging???

don't do it.look at my thread of witerizing/ethonal
Old 09-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered

I asked the following question by e-mail to Mercury Marine Mercruiser (Stillwater) yesterday:
What is the best way to winterize and fog my HP500EFI engine?

This is the answer I got today:

"The best way to winterize your engine is remove flame arrester [air cleaner] and spray fogging spray into throttle body until engine kills.
Raise rpm up to 1500 when spraying fogging spray to allow more fogging spray into engine.

Bob"

So now I am just
Old 09-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrolift
I asked the following question by e-mail to Mercury Marine Mercruiser (Stillwater) yesterday:
What is the best way to winterize and fog my HP500EFI engine?

This is the answer I got today:

"The best way to winterize your engine is remove flame arrester [air cleaner] and spray fogging spray into throttle body until engine kills.
Raise rpm up to 1500 when spraying fogging spray to allow more fogging spray into engine.

Bob"

So now I am just

Just pour Marvel Mystery Oil in for a bit then giver her a douse to kill the engine...it is a penetrating oil that gets in the rings and keeps them loose...and coats really well..cleans out carbon too...and as Cuda says..it smells like aftershave lotion.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=139855

or

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/01/01_15.pdf

or

Yes, The new bulletins do not reference fogging thru the intake. It also does not specify that you cant fog thru the intake, or plug holes one at a time. (Volvo has a similar bulletin by the way).. The reason for this is Merc & Volvo both feel that the fuel mixed with the 2 stroke blend is adequate protection internally for a single winter layup. Also their main concern is keeping the fuel pumps from from pitting or siezing as well as the injectors..

I would not be overly concerned with just following the factorys guidelines for a single season lay up, but if you needed to pickle the boat for it to sit for seasons (plural) fogging in addition to the fuel mix bulletin shouldnt hurt..

If you choose to fog in addition to the fuel mix it must be done thru the intake, or thru the plug holes one at a time.. Also you would still need to run the recomended fuel mix thru it..

DO NOT put fogging fluid in the fuel mix as some of the chemicals in the fogging fluid can make or cause the injectors to stick or become sticky.

BTW... There is not a mass air flow sensor, or mass air flow meter on these engines like there are on a car or suv.. You are thinking of the Map sensor (manifold air pressure sensor) which monitors vaccum and barometeric pressure.. They are not the same as a Mass airflow sensor or mass air flow meter..

Lastly this bulletin would not apply for carbbed applications.. THey should still be fogged & the fuel systems treated traditionally..

Hope my 2 cents was usefull to some of you..
Jamie / Lakeside
Old 09-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Registered

wrink U cheapskate take her to FL for the winter and run it

U wusssy
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
wrink U cheapskate take her to FL for the winter and run it

U wusssy
No long distance tow vehicle and the office is real slow now! Light in the pocket!!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
No long distance tow vehicle and the office is real slow now! Light in the pocket!!
ditto dude
Old 09-30-2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
The office is really slow because the DR. is always up north boating Wrink, let me know if you ever need me to drive her to Fl. for you JB
Old 10-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Registered

I've used the fogging method for years on both small and big block carberated engines and I've never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Fogging???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.