Crankshaft Cutting

Notices

Crankshaft Cutting

Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft Cutting

Originally Posted by stevesxm
im not sure i agree with a lot of this. assuming i understand what you are saying...

you talk about big clearences for thick cold oil but thats crazy... the oil doesn't stay thick or cold for very long and if it DOES then the rest of the motor is taking a real beating. oil... ANY oil needs to be 200 degrees to work as designed... to stay clean and to flow properly for the application and viscosity it was designed for. and once it DOES get hot for any reason, your film strength is gone because of the big clearence and the failures occur...

and you are suggesting that you selectively grind EACH journal differently on the crank to match EACH individual component assembly ? why on earth would you do that ? have the crank ground properly to the correct size within very good tolerence. have the block align honed CORRECTLY so that IT is the right size and STANDARD have the rods done the same way with proper bolts at the correct preload and then, using your dial bore gage as you say, simply set your clearences by using the 0 or + 1 or + .5 bearings or whatever you need to buy for proper bearings... and you are done and the rotating assy is perfect AND all the hard parts are a standard size ... i can not imagine doing it the way you suggest.

as for the piston to wall clearence... this is a discussion we have had here before... i believe ( exluding blower motors etc) that the vast majority of these motors are over cooled... running a carb motor w/out a thermostat at 140 is just wrong and TERRIBLE for the motor. and the piston to wall as well as other clearences are the reason and one significant reason why the service life of marine stuff seems so low compared to other industries... it has NOTHING to do with the mythical " marine" loads... trucks see the same loads over 10 times the hours that any marine motor EVER does... my f 350 towed a 20, 000 lb trailer up and down the mountains with a 460 gas for 150,000 miles... you think your 502 at WOT for 30 mins a month exceeds that ?

no. there is no magic to any of this. any big block correctly machined to nominally correct tolerences and clearences suited for the application and components specified will work JUST fine without any magic or voodoo. more often than not it is EXACTLY the magic and voodoo... the solving of " problems" that you don't really have, that ends up being the root cause of the next failure.
I totally agree with the oil issue. Oil should be 200 to 215 for the best lubrication and flow. The temp boils off any moisture. The engine should not be overcooled. When I posted I was talking about generalities. Some clowns prefer to run 50 weight oil at 70 degrees. I sure don't. The only reason to grind a journal differently is if the bearings are of a different size. MOST ARE NOT. But I prefer to check the size before grinding. In automotive applications (Aston Martin), I've seen differences between main bearings, and since a set of main bearings from England for a six cylinder engine are 700.00 dollars, I damn well make sure the crankshaft is going to run in them before I start telling the grinder what size to make the journals. The only reason for more clearance between the piston and cylinder is to allow for more expansion if the engine is SUPERCHARGED. If you are running a normally aspirated engine it probably won't make any difference.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I Realize That Everybody Has There Point And Good Ones At That, But When I Go Throgh My 540 This Winter And I Send The Crank And Block Out What Should I Tell The Machine Shop About Where I Want My Tolerances At...............
Old 09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as i said earlier.. there is no one size fits all answer. depends on the complete configuration and expected service usage... my advice was and remains, define the cr, define the hp, define the oil and side clearences, define the temps, define the expected torque and then call the bearing mfg you intend to use. your 540 and someone elses that works well with his clearences may be completely wrong for you.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

thanks steve as always appreciate the help.................i will call clevitt today unless you know of a better bearing company
Old 09-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Registered

nope... they make the best bearings there are.... find an engineer there that is familiar w/ the winston cup motors....
Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

stevesxm - somewhere above you mentioned grinding past the 'nitriding treatment' and using the resultant surface is okay.

I'm no metalurgist or expert on it so I have always ASSUMED that these should be re-nitrided for proper dependability/ function.

I'd like to know / hear your reasoning behind this because I am curious and want to know if I should be doing more research into this for myself.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nocigarette
I Realize That Everybody Has There Point And Good Ones At That, But When I Go Throgh My 540 This Winter And I Send The Crank And Block Out What Should I Tell The Machine Shop About Where I Want My Tolerances At...............
Shoot for .0025 for the rods. .003 for the mains. Some builders like .0035 for the rear main due to crank flex but I set my mains on a 540 at .003 straight across. That is a safe clearance for your engine if you are running a good multi-viscosity oil such as 20-50 or 10-40. These are pretty standard clearances for a big block Chev engine.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Shoot for .0025 for the rods. .003 for the mains. Some builders like .0035 for the rear main due to crank flex but I set my mains on a 540 at .003 straight across. That is a safe clearance for your engine if you are running a good multi-viscosity oil such as 20-50 or 10-40. These are pretty standard clearances for a big block Chev engine.
I'm running .0028 on rods and .003 mains in my 540 but its blown. If it was N/A I would go another .005 tighter on both and run a little thinner oil. I run 20/50 or 50 wt depending on water temp/time of season to maintain some viscosity when fuel starts to dilute the oil and hold oil pressure when ran hard.I also use all -12 hose,full flow fittings,2 qt filter and the melling factory blueprinted pump plus decent size cooler. Motor runs 70 psi oil pressure under full boost hot and 40 at idle after a real hard run. There are ALOT of stock 502's running .002 or less on mains and close to .0015 or less on rods for hundreds of hours w/15/40 and std volume oil pump. The first machine shop screwed my mains up royally in my 540,its important the proper crush and perfect main alignment is maintained when your machine work is done,if you have sloppy machine work than you need extra bearing clearence to bandaid it. My stock 502 when checked on the stand after beating on it for 50 hours in stock form and approx 150 hrs w/blower still had mains within .0001 of each other so keep in mind blocks are often screwed up by line boring/honing when they didn't even need it in the first place. As far as machining off the nitriding,I'm not sure on a stock crank but I specifically bought a crank thats perma-toughed .080 deep for future rebuilds and I already been thru the motor once and crank and bearings still looked like new,Smitty
Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Registered

nitriding is a process where the surface is is subjected to a diffused nitrogen process and, as such merely changes the SURFACE properties of the material... no material is added and no dimensions are materially changed altho it is a hi temp process... the point is that it is not a heat treatment in the traditional sense.. where there is material change in dimension and the heat treatment itself extends into the substrate to a measureable depth... with nitriding you start with a perfectly good crank made of perfectly good material that you could run just the way you have it... and make the bearing surfaces a little bit more resistant to scuffing and casual abuse... but if you grind thru it to the next undersize... you still have that same perfectly good crank you started with... it was a very popular system when crank materials wern't very good and you could toughen up the journals and reduce simple wear.

and smittys analysis of the clearences is spot on

Last edited by stevesxm; 09-12-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
nitriding is a process where the surface is is subjected to a diffused nitrogen process and, as such merely changes the SURFACE properties of the material... no material is added and no dimensions are materially changed altho it is a hi temp process... the point is that it is not a heat treatment in the traditional sense.. where there is material change in dimension and the heat treatment itself extends into the substrate to a measureable depth... with nitriding you start with a perfectly good crank made of perfectly good material that you could run just the way you have it... and make the bearing surfaces a little bit more resistant to scuffing and casual abuse... but if you grind thru it to the next undersize... you still have that same perfectly good crank you started with... it was a very popular system when crank materials wern't very good and you could toughen up the journals and reduce simple wear.

and smittys analysis of the clearences is spot on
You might not be the most popular guy around but you TELL IT LIKE IT IS!! Keep it up ,Smitty