Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Modify early Intake to fit newer SBC ? >

Modify early Intake to fit newer SBC ?

Notices

Modify early Intake to fit newer SBC ?

Old 09-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Modify early Intake to fit newer SBC ?

Ok, I have been modifying Old pre '87 Cast Iron intakes for Sbc, to fit Marine motors with the center bolt valve covers.
The biggest issue is the washers that I need to correct the angle of the bolts in the crossover area. I ended up making some up but it took alot of time. Does anyone supply wedge washers with a 72 Deg angle to make this work easier ?
I use a die grinder to open up the 4 holes in the intake. Machining the angle on the manifold is out of the question.
Getting good used newer style intakes is almost impossible, because they were not used on cars and only on a few truck due to fuel injection. Buying new is also out of the equasion because of the cost. My modifications work well, although the bolts must have sealer on them to prevent vacuum leaks. Thanks, BBB
Old 09-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Modify early Intake to fit newer SBC ?

For what you're doing, you're better off buying the later manifold new.
At gmpartsdirect.com it's only $170.00. The part number is: 14097494
That's the Z28 style high rise manifold for the 87 and up engines.
It works great on a boat.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Yes, Professional Products. They make'm so they don't have to make different intakes.

We might as well use these copy cat / made in china bastards for something.

http://www.professional-products.com/

BTW: some of us don't even bother, but, sometimes we do. LOL. - just elongate holes and tighten down. Doesn't sound 'correct' but there are plenty of other bolts holding down intake correct. Just use thread sealer on these middle bolts so oil doesn't come up thru valley onto intake.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered

Arrow Re: Modify early Intake to fit newer SBC ?

Just Bought 2 of them on ebay for $100 brand new, But these are not everyday deals.
I can get the old style Iron ones for $20-$50 and modify them easy. Thanks, BBB
Old 09-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Banned

Why not just buy newer style aluminum intakes?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Registered

Post Re: Modify early Intake to fit newer SBC ?

Originally Posted by cuda
Why not just buy newer style aluminum intakes?
I hope you mean the ones with the bronze passages !
iN SALT water the aluminum ones have a hard job lasting 2 seasons ! I can't be there with the customer and take his word that it was flushed after every run. None of us, even knowing that we should flush has done so for every run.
How much more so can we depend on our customers that don't understand anyway near as much as us to do so !
Old 09-14-2006, 04:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
iN SALT water the aluminum ones have a hard job lasting 2 seasons ! I can't be there with the customer and take his word that it was flushed after every run. None of us, even knowing that we should flush has done so for every run.
How much more so can we depend on our customers that don't understand anyway near as much as us to do so !
You're right. I was thinking of personal use. Aluminum will last a long time if properly flushed.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:28 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
You could probably get the aluminium ones hard anodized for less than $50.00
Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

BBB -

I'd look into having these bolt spacers made for you. There are a ton of companies (large and small) that will make stuff like this for you.

I have bolt spacers made for one of my throttle body spacer install kits from the following:

PCM MFG
400 Kellyville Rd.
Jefferson, TX, 75657
903-665-2255
www.spacersandbushings.com

Mine do not havy any angles, like you would need. I also order 400 pieces at a time , so I won't mention price because it prob has nothing similar to yours. Units bought at a time have everything to do with price - as manufacturing costs do too.

Anyway - I settled with them because they are nice people, do what they tell me they'll do, tell me things up front vs later, and charge an acceptable price. Also, most companies I first called didn't want to deal with me unless ordering thousands at a time. I think my first few intial orders a long time back where 50 or 100 pieces.

If they can't help you just do a search under "spacers and bushings" or "bolt spacers" or etc,etc,etc.

Always easy / cheap to make a few phone calls !!!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Registered

If you can get someone to make you a steel block with the hole through it at the proper angle you can then clamp to the intake and use that as a drill guide to put that bolt angle through the manifold flange...

after this is finished... getting a tool to spotface the intake slightly with the shank passing through the bolt hole to set the angle would be very easy... might require you to have some work done on a counterbore tool or endmill or what not but it'd make quick work of things with nothing more than a hand drill...

might seem like a bit of work up front but in the end, if you do a lot of them... it pays for itself...

Quick Reply: Modify early Intake to fit newer SBC ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.