Steering loose at speed...

Notices

Steering loose at speed...

Old 09-30-2006, 10:34 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering loose at speed...

Went out on a friends Baja today...25 ft. with a 540ci/Bravo 1 setup. Single ram Mayfair external steering system. When we were on plane the boat wanders all over the place and feels very unsafe. Strange as it sounds when the water gets rough it seems to handle ok, but when the water lays down (flat) the boat hunts all over. On the trailer you can move the steering pretty efortlessly from side to side a good bit. Any ideas?
Old 09-30-2006, 10:49 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Re: Steering loose at speed...

Needs a leather wrapped wheel!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume that you mean that you can move the outdrive side to side a bit on the trailer? The outdrive shouldn't move at all with hydraulic steering even if it's an add on system. Check the gimble ring making sure it is tight on the pivots. Tighten or repair anything you find. Also check the power steering for air. The ram should not move at all by hand. It could be as simple as what prop is on the boat even if the steering is tight.

Good luck,

Rene
Old 10-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing to check, if you have an add-on steering, is the play in the tiller arm and steering cable. If you have play in those parts it does not help to have en external ram.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:59 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey bob. Miserable day yesterday Thanks for the input guys......older boat so I 'll have to check all the above. Sort of feels like air.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

A simple way to check the play in the mechanical part (tiller arm, cable, wheel) of the steering is to move the wheel right and left as much as possible without moving the drive. If that play is more than an inch or two you have a problem. The solution is to go full hydraulic. It is a dream compared to add on systems.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mats
A simple way to check the play in the mechanical part (tiller arm, cable, wheel) of the steering is to move the wheel right and left as much as possible without moving the drive. If that play is more than an inch or two you have a problem. The solution is to go full hydraulic. It is a dream compared to add on systems.
I tried the add on with my 272 baja. It intensifies any slack in your machanical system. Bite the bullet and go full hyd. You can get all the parts you need from any hydraulic hose/parts supplier. The same helm they sell for marine is the same one they sell for tractors. I did a complete dual ram system for around $1400.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Registered

Kenny where did you get the parts for yours?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The helm unit or pump is a common piece I bought at MOtion Industries. They are a hydraulic supply co.. The # on my ticket is 211-1003 steering control. I had a guy make the cylinders and I made my own outdrve cap. The other stuff is straight off the shelf hose and fittings. I did lose my tilt steering when I changed over. I think the helm unit is over double if you buy it from a "marine" source.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:56 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Sounds like it's chime walking. Baja's are famous for it. My old 25 did it all the time when trimmed out in flat water.
Attached Thumbnails Steering loose at speed...-285_8594a-med-res-2-8x10.-small-jpg.jpg  

Quick Reply: Steering loose at speed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.