Edelbrock VS Merlin Intake

Notices

Edelbrock VS Merlin Intake

Old 10-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Edelbrock VS Merlin Intake

Originally Posted by SB
mrhorsepower1 - did you have an exhibit at PRI last Dec ?
We have not had an exihibit @ PRI in a few years. We do advertise in the mag for the show issue with our billet main caps. I would like to do a booth again someday but I think I will do the Ft.Lauderdale boat show next, when the time comes.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli
Any thoughts on what to use/do for the front and back rails leaking?
When I put the intake on last time, I did not use the rubber gaskets..Should I?? What sealant???
Also, should I put on some sort of PCV??? right now, I just have breathers on the valve covers..
Use Permatex black 5910 silicone. When you lay your bead make certain to push the silicone into the corners where the block and head meet. Do not use the end seals. I run a good Moroso style push in breather that will allow you to run hoses to the flame arrestor. Valve covers should have good baffle on inside.

Dean
Old 10-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by gripit
Mrhorsepower1,

Why do you think the 420 HP originally came with the Dart single plane Intake?

Because it was the best intake at the time the engine was designed. It is also the stock merc intake on the 500HP engines. People have tested darts and they do give up a little in the lower rpms, but make a little more in the 5000-5400rpm range

The RPM airgap design is only about 5 years old and was not even an option. Its newer technology and the air gap design is comparable with single planes, but gives better lower rpm torque.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
We have not had an exihibit @ PRI in a few years. We do advertise in the mag for the show issue with our billet main caps. I would like to do a booth again someday but I think I will do the Ft.Lauderdale boat show next, when the time comes.
Okay.

Just very weird.

Swore I heard the same exact intake manifold deal on same race class while I was there. Same head deal too. This was almost word by word. You sure you weren't there and forgot ? Damn, maybe you where cloned. This is just too uncanny. LOL !

Oh well. Guess many people end up at the same place even if they take a different highway.

Last edited by SB; 10-03-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Use Permatex black 5910 silicone. When you lay your bead make certain to push the silicone into the corners where the block and head meet. Do not use the end seals. I run a good Moroso style push in breather that will allow you to run hoses to the flame arrestor. Valve covers should have good baffle on inside.

Dean
Use laquer thinner on the block and intake surfaces and let dry before laying down silicone.

BT
Old 10-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered

my heads are the merlin 310 marine cleaned up carb is nickerson
Old 10-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Registered

My heads are the merlin 310 marine R's cleaned up, carb is nickerson 1050 510 9.5 to1 with a BG 850 DYNO WAS 647HP THE NICK IS MAKING MORE POWER ,SO GET A NEW INTAKE TO MATCH THE 1050 or keep what I have ???
Old 10-04-2006, 05:59 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I'm finding better results having a high quality 4150 intake with 4500 carb then a 4500 intake on these type engines + stronger ones. The transition between carb + intake is important.

I even got a call from SAM (School of Automotive Machinists) the other week to send one of these down there.

Last edited by SB; 10-04-2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I'm finding better results having a high quality 4150 intake with 4500 carb then a 4500 intake on these type engines + stronger ones. The transition between carb + intake is important.

I even got a call from SAM (School of Automotive Machinists) the other week to send one of these down there.
Yes, the transition is terrible in most setups, and makes a big difference. I've got plenty of clearance in my setup, and have been wondering what to use for the transition. Is that a part you made? Are they testing it for you? I'd be interested in the results.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Registered

Has anyone tried the new Merlin X intake ?

Quick Reply: Edelbrock VS Merlin Intake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.