Idle question >

Idle question

Notices

Idle question

Old 10-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle question

Current Setup: 540 ci Naturally aspired 9.2:1 comp.. Aluminum Heads.
Cam duration is 233in 237ex lift is 600in and 580ex. 112ls.
850 Sea Daemon worked over by Nickerson
Ignition is MSN Distributor p/n 83606 ready to run hooked into an MSD digital 6 plus box p/n 6520.
The ignition timing is locked out at 34*

Boat runs great..
The boat idles at 900 to 950, and in gear drops to 600-650.
Is this normal? Seems like a large drop to me???
I have tried over and over to adjust the idle mixture screws, ect.
The shifting seems a little “rough”.. nothing major.. and no “issues” have arisen.. however, I am not a fan of the banging into gear.. (even though this is a slight bang)

Any thoughts? Is this normal??

One thing I have thought of; The MSD pn 6520 has a pink wire. When juiced with 12V, this wire will tell the box to “pull” timing out of the motor. I can pull as much as 10*.
So, in neutral, I would have 12v going to the box, making the timing 24* instead of 34*. Once shifted, cut the voltage, jumping the timing back to the locked out 34*.
This should, in effect, lower my neutral RPM’s by 100 (maybe??? Perhaps??) and also raise my RPM’s once shifted into gear???

Thoughts?? Other options?

John
Old 10-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Idle question

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli
Current Setup: 540 ci Naturally aspired 9.2:1 comp.. Aluminum Heads.
Cam duration is 233in 237ex lift is 600in and 580ex. 112ls.
850 Sea Daemon worked over by Nickerson
Ignition is MSN Distributor p/n 83606 ready to run hooked into an MSD digital 6 plus box p/n 6520.
The ignition timing is locked out at 34*

Boat runs great..
The boat idles at 900 to 950, and in gear drops to 600-650.
Is this normal? Seems like a large drop to me???
I have tried over and over to adjust the idle mixture screws, ect.
The shifting seems a little “rough”.. nothing major.. and no “issues” have arisen.. however, I am not a fan of the banging into gear.. (even though this is a slight bang)

Any thoughts? Is this normal??

One thing I have thought of; The MSD pn 6520 has a pink wire. When juiced with 12V, this wire will tell the box to “pull” timing out of the motor. I can pull as much as 10*.
So, in neutral, I would have 12v going to the box, making the timing 24* instead of 34*. Once shifted, cut the voltage, jumping the timing back to the locked out 34*.
This should, in effect, lower my neutral RPM’s by 100 (maybe??? Perhaps??) and also raise my RPM’s once shifted into gear???

Thoughts?? Other options?

John
MINE DOES THE SAME THING -THE BANGING WHEN I SHIFT. I IDLE AT 1000 AND WHEN IN GEAR DROPS TO 600 AND ACTS LIKE IT WANTS TO DIE. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIX THE PROBLEM WITH THE IDLE SCREWS ON A HOLLEY 750
Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

If you can idle the engine down to 800-850 out of gear and keep it at 550 or so in gear would help. Very normal what your experiencing though. Do not pull timing out, this will hurt you. I run most of my engines locked out. They idle cleaner and shift into gear better with more timing in them.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Registered

My 540s act the same when when I first start them. They are really cold blooded, but after they are run for awhile, they are will shift at 600 without dying.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Registered

Do you run a start retard as well??? I have turned on the start retard feature of the digital 6 box..so.. anything below 500 rpm would trigger the box to pull 20* out… have to keep that in mind as well.. maybe I should turn it off??

Also, can/do you adjust any carb settings for this? Should I continue to play with the idle mixture screws???
Sounds like this issue is normal for performance motors
Old 10-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Registered

When tiring to get the best idle, do you adjust the idle mixture screws with a vacuum gauge? Do this at idle, or, in gear tied to a dock?
What about adjusting the rear butterflies? This should allow air into the mixture, but no fuel right? This would increase the idle, and also allow me to close up the front butterflies?
Is there a trick to getting the “best” idle in and out of gear??

I guess what I am trying to figure out is: Why do I have almost 350 to 400 RPM drop when I put the boat in gear???? And how can I fix that???
Old 10-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Banned

Start with both the primary and secondary throttle plates open the same amount. The idle mixture screws start @ 1 1/2 turns out from seated. Get your idle speed @ 850-900 with engine warmed up. I do have set boats up with them tied tight to dock. This is a very good way of dialing in the idle mixture screws. Most of the tuning is done by experience, a vacuum gauge is not needed and will not help you.I get the boat to idle in gear tired to the dock without stalling.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli
Do you run a start retard as well??? I have turned on the start retard feature of the digital 6 box..so.. anything below 500 rpm would trigger the box to pull 20* out… have to keep that in mind as well.. maybe I should turn it off??

Also, can/do you adjust any carb settings for this? Should I continue to play with the idle mixture screws???
Sounds like this issue is normal for performance motors

I thought the start retard on the MSD box was wierd to the starter and only pulls 20 out what activated by the starter.As soon as the started is released it advances, not related to rpm???????

As Dean I lock out all my high perf motors, the idle is
a lot better

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I thought the start retard on the MSD box was wierd to the starter and only pulls 20 out what activated by the starter.As soon as the started is released it advances, not related to rpm???????

As Dean I lock out all my high perf motors, the idle is
a lot better
Rob,
This is correct about the retard. I don't even use that on 15.1:1 compression engines. And locking the timing sure makes em' sound good !
Old 10-06-2006, 07:01 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The MSD Digital 6+ does offer a start retard feature.
When set and during cranking, the timing will be retarded 20 degrees until the engine reaches 800 RPM when it returns to the mechanical setting (in your case, 34 degrees).
When the engine speed drops below 500 RPM, the start retard feature is reactivated.
I have this box and do not use the start retard. I also run 33-34 degrees locked.

Quick Reply: Idle question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.