Mild SBC Upgrades >

Mild SBC Upgrades

Notices

Mild SBC Upgrades

Old 10-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mild SBC Upgrades

I have a 350/330 engine in my Minx that I bought from a guy years ago. It's currently in my Minx. I have the complete parts list that he used somewhere, The only thing I could find offhand was the cam and heads invoice. He had built two of them. It had 30 hours on it when I got it. I put it in my F20 Formula originally, I just recently put it in the Donzi. It has incredible midrange, and idles great, when the carb (Edelbrock) isn't full of crap in the idle circuit. It has a performer intake.
Attached Thumbnails Mild SBC Upgrades-330-crate-cam-specs.jpg  
Old 10-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Registered

Cuda: yes, I have lots of room around with doghouse removed. Plenty of room to remove damper and cam. My only concern at this time is dropping the front of the oilpan down, just enough to get timing cover out. I believe I can reach all the oil pan bolts but there is not room to get oil pan out to do full gasket replacement.

Here is a pic:
Old 10-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John_S
Cuda: yes, I have lots of room around with doghouse removed. Plenty of room to remove damper and cam. My only concern at this time is dropping the front of the oilpan down, just enough to get timing cover out. I believe I can reach all the oil pan bolts but there is not room to get oil pan out to do full gasket replacement.

Here is a pic:
dont loosen the pan at all to r&i the timing cover for a cam swap. you just need to put on a new timing cover gskt and rtv the corners. use a screw driver to pry the timing cover down to line it up with the 2 locating studs. i've done several bbc and sbc engines this way. no problems, no leaks.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Registered

It onlys takes about 45 minutes to pull that motor out, GET R DONE Spend some money on some AFR heads, you will be alot better off. I had a 260 hp stock mag.. Built a 383, all high doller parts, around 550- 560 hp. Stock 58 mph. 383 took it too 77.2 mph. its comes out to about 15-16 hp for each MPH and to add to the excitment this is in a 19' 3000lb boat with a alpha drive. 3 years now and not one problem, good oil, shower and it will last. By the way I beat the **** outta this setup. This motor idles around 700-800 rpm and will never load up, I idle through a lot of no wake zones 2-3 miles at time and it does great. On holley's. Bought mine new.. jetted it and have not touched. You just have to know what your doing. if you do go with the vortecs, make sure they have screw in studs, machined for guideplates and teflon valve seals if you are running more lift then around .480"

What you gonna gain with what you have planned?? 3-4 mph... dude just put some flames on the side of your boat and don't touch the motor

Nothing like the sound of 6000 rpm and the smell of race fuel

Last edited by traviss; 10-15-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Are you going to try to change the cam without pulling the engine???
I actually was able to in my boat,I had to raise the front about an inch to clear the floor,I remoed the rear bench seat to make room,I also had to take out all but the back 4 oil pan bolts to drop the pan a little,it was not easy buy I did it!!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is a pic:
Oil pan should be a one piece gasket,I dropeed mine at the front doing a cam and just bolted it back up.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ratman
dont loosen the pan at all to r&i the timing cover for a cam swap. you just need to put on a new timing cover gskt and rtv the corners. use a screw driver to pry the timing cover down to line it up with the 2 locating studs. i've done several bbc and sbc engines this way. no problems, no leaks.
For me it was easier to drop the pan some,I had a hard time trying to get the timing cover sealed at the bottom without doing it,I have done it without dropping the pan but it was way easier to just drop it and make sure it was a good seal.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by cuda
I have a 350/330 engine in my Minx that I bought from a guy years ago. It's currently in my Minx. I have the complete parts list that he used somewhere, The only thing I could find offhand was the cam and heads invoice. He had built two of them. It had 30 hours on it when I got it. I put it in my F20 Formula originally, I just recently put it in the Donzi. It has incredible midrange, and idles great, when the carb (Edelbrock) isn't full of crap in the idle circuit. It has a performer intake.
That is the almost same cam I have now,great idle and midrange,it does not have enough for my dart200 heads,I am going custom this winter.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Registered

Guys, thanks for the comments on cam removal.

Travis, you are over the top! Lets just say, this has to stay a civilized family bow rider.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:53 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Comments on intake and carb???
Get the tallest dual plane intake that will fit under your hatch and that will let you mount your carb of choice without having to use an adapter.

Quick Reply: Mild SBC Upgrades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.