Trying to recover from an engine scam >

Trying to recover from an engine scam

Notices

Trying to recover from an engine scam

Old 10-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to recover from an engine scam

I have already been scammed by one shop that was recommended to me by Craig Railsback of BDS and lost most of my build parts and $12K. The shop recommended by Craig Railsback of BDS was TURBO DIRECT of Bainbridge Island WA. I am trying to recover from those losses with no help from Craig Railsback of BDS and get back on the water. I am a working stiff with a young family looking to get this build behind me for sanity sake since we had to sit out this year do to Craig Railsback of BDS. It has been one year come Thanksgiving week that the scam started.
Any help and or knowledge you can pass along would greatly be appreciated.

My goal is 1000hp "safely" on pump gas (92). The current blower is a 871 BDS "WITH OUT A CHILLER" as our water we run on stays at a constant temp and never gets above 65? F. My elevation is 600' above sea level.

The engine is currently at Mesa Balancing and has made 785hp at 6000 with a BDS 871 using the heads listed below. The census now is that the flow numbers on the exh. is the bottle neck. Laz has been wonderful to work with and has been very patient and helpful.

My build is as follows:

Dart Tall deck 4.6 bore
Lunati Pro 4.5 stroke
Lunati Pro 6.7 rods
Coated JE pistons 8.5:1 with 120cc chambers
Coated bearings
Jessel rocker shafts
Dart 360's 120cc chambers
KE pan
Morosso external oil pump

Dart 360's flow numbers as follows:
.500 331.5/202.9
.600 356.7/223.8
.700 375.9/238.3

2.30" Int/ 1.88" Exh

If anyone is interested in the story of the scam from beginning to current it can be read here.http://www.speedwake.com/upload/show...0&pagenumber=1
Old 10-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trying to recover from an engine scam

B to B, I have followed your whole thread on SW but I don't post there much. It's hard to believe that there are creeps out there who will cheat people like that. There are others also like Todd formerly of Hawk Power, National Marine etc. They should all be shot on sight.

As far as the heads go, I think the head flow is getting in your way.After Jim V worked my exhausts my AFR 335's flow 380/290 at .6 lift. At .7 flow is 395/300. There is no off the shelf conventional head that flows better than that. Jim has tons of experience with Dart heads. I know he's gotten 310 out of a Dart 320 exhaust. It would cost about 1000.00 but you would know it was right.

I wish you luck with your power goals and hope you get back on the water soon. Ian
Old 10-28-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
After Jim V worked my exhausts my AFR 335's flow 380/290 at .6 lift. At .7 flow is 395/300. There is no off the shelf conventional head that flows better than that
????????
http://www.airflowresearch.com/335bbc_rh.php
Old 10-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I think if you can get your heads to flow around 300 cfm on the exhaust side or buy better heads thast do you will get into the 900 hp range. I'm not a roots guy but it also seems like your blower is awful small for a engine that big,merc uses a 12-71 or a 14-71 on there 900 sc's if I remember correctly. The parasitic hp loss from running a smaller blower goes to the moon at a cetain boost level,that might also be holding you back. I made mid 900 hp numbers from a 540 w/315 afr cnc heads at 10 psi of boost,I figure the great flow of the heads and proper cam that rmbuilder spec'd account for the 200 plus hp gain over my old set-up which was merlin vr heads that flowed very similar on the exhaust side to your posted numbers,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Trying to recover from an engine scam-scan0018.jpg  
Old 10-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the duke
AFRflows their exhausts with a pipe. Jim called it a cheater pipe. Also my numbers were down 10 -15cfm from AFR's. Now mine flow 330 with the pipe. The intakes were right on AFRs numbers.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Registered

I agree with Smitty, the blower is a little small. If you're going to turn it that fast, you may need the intercooler.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just read the hole thread ,damm who have had a ordeal I feel for ya .I also don't like BDS people or there blowers.I have heard others on the same.You have some good people on your side now.Goodluck

What are you doing about the heads situation now ?

I also think you need a innercooler.The reason you said you didn't was because of water temp in the lake. The lake water temp being cold will not cool the compressed intake charge and at the HP level I think the innercooler would help in hp and give ya a cushion on detonation.

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear about your scam, i am in WA too and am looking for some engine work. I will make sure to run away from those guys!

Hopefully you can sue them or recoup some of the money.

Walt
Old 10-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by born2burn
The engine is currently at Mesa Balancing and has made 785hp at 6000 with a BDS 871 using the heads listed below. The census now is that the flow numbers on the exh. is the bottle neck.

Laz has been wonderful to work with and has been very patient and helpful. Any help and or knowledge you can pass along would greatly be appreciated.
I have followed your story as well on SW. I have seen Laz come on here and post on a few occasions that [B]he does his own special, extensive head work on several of the engines he builds.

I am a little confused so, I'll say this as gracefully as I can;...I am assuming that when you say that the exhaust flow numbers are "bottle necked" that you are speaking about the exhaust ports of the heads and that you guys have come to the conclusion that the power is down and because of that reason my question is;... is there any reason why Laz can't do the needed port work right there in his own shop? Especially in light of you figuring it's a bad exhaust port. I mean...you've got one of the best guys (Laz) in the business working on your stuff right now!

Sorry you had to experience the dark side of the hi-perf offshore marine biz. Believe me, I certainly know what it's like to get ripped off by the smooth talking engine building crooks! I mean no disrespect towards you or anyone and I hope everything goes well for you and your project from here.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

go with the innercooler,turn up the boost alittle.

Quick Reply: Trying to recover from an engine scam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.