messy 496HO spin on oil filter change

Notices

messy 496HO spin on oil filter change

Old 11-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messy 496HO spin on oil filter change

Suggestions/tricks to use when changing the upside down mounted spin on 496HO oil filter to prevent oil spillage?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Registered

Smile Re: messy 496HO spin on oil filter change

Poke a hole in it with a screw driver and let the oil drain to the pan.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: messy 496HO spin on oil filter change

Originally Posted by Badtoon
Poke a hole in it with a screw driver and let the oil drain to the pan.
Thanks.

Is there any wrong place to punch the hole that for example would release the collected filtered out 'dirt' back into the engine?
Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Registered

Re: messy 496HO spin on oil filter change

Not Sure. The dirt should be trapped in the filter material. Dead center so it doesn't run over the side. I relocated mine so it sets right side up.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Badtoon
Not Sure. The dirt should be trapped in the filter material. Dead center so it doesn't run over the side. I relocated mine so it sets right side up.
Details on how and where and what was required to relocate the oil filter right side up please.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Has been discussed before:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...er+screwdriver

Take a screwdriver that has a square shank about 3/8 in diameter, and pop a hole in the very top center of the filter with a hammer. Let the screwdriver insert a couple inches, but not far enough to extend out the bottom of the filter. Let the filter drain into the pain for about 20-30 minutes before you remove it. You will not spill a drop; guaranteed... as the filter will be empty.

I have a specific screwdriver that I cut and sharpened for this task. It works like a charm. I'd actually RATHER have my filters inverted now; using this method. With the filter mouth pointing up, as soon as you loosen the seal, oil is going to spill out of the cavity above the filter, and run down your filter into your bilge.
By draining as described above; I don't spill a drop.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-22-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Has been discussed before:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...er+screwdriver

Take a screwdriver that has a square shank about 3/8 in diameter, and pop a hole in the very top center of the filter with a hammer. Let the screwdriver insert a couple inches, but not far enough to extend out the bottom of the filter. Let the filter drain into the pain for about 20-30 minutes before you remove it. You will not spill a drop; guaranteed... as the filter will be empty.

I have a specific screwdriver that I cut and sharpened for this task. It works like a charm. I'd actually RATHER have my filters inverted now; using this method. With the filter mouth pointing up, as soon as you loosen the seal, oil is going to spill out of the cavity above the filter, and run down your filter into your bilge.
By draining as described above; I don't spill a drop.
Excellent point. I'll stick with the upside down filter and punch a hole in it for future oil changes. In the thread you included for reference was mentioned some filters have anti drain back valves incorporated. Will these still drain when a hole is punched as you describe or will they hold and not spill the oil when not hole punched and removed? What filter do you use?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Registered

Similar result- different technique, I just loosen the filter- once the initial CCW movement occurs I turn it slowly until the o-ring seal just barely breaks- you can see it and hear it- air will suck through but the oil, beingh thicker will nto weep through- works like a charm- I just start draining afterwards and by the yime I'm done the filter is empty.

good luck!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cattitude
Similar result- different technique, I just loosen the filter- once the initial CCW movement occurs I turn it slowly until the o-ring seal just barely breaks- you can see it and hear it- air will suck through but the oil, beingh thicker will nto weep through- works like a charm- I just start draining afterwards and by the yime I'm done the filter is empty.

good luck!
i use the same method . you can hear it drain down then when it stops just spin it off, no mess!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Another option. Very good. Thanks.

What about filters with an anti drain back feature?

Quick Reply: messy 496HO spin on oil filter change

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.