Drake exhaust headers

Notices

Drake exhaust headers

Old 11-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drake exhaust headers

I just picked up a set of drake all alum headers, gafrig muff's, pipes. They were made in the 1990's they look great, big runners. Has anybody used these in the past, They had a lot of press time years ago,in boating mags, didn't see many because of the cost. Any info would be helpful. Remind me of the Keith Eickard casts. Thanks JOHN

Last edited by Fenderjack; 11-29-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Drake exhaust headers

lets see some pics!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Back in the mid 1980's a friend of mine bought a 26' Phantom with a big block that had a pair of Drake all polished aluminum exhaust manifolds. Not exactly sure on this, but if I remember correctly they looked almost identical to the GIL exhaust manifolds and 4" o.d. DRY pipes. The 468cid engine was built by Gelner Engineering and had an Ultradyne flat tappet, mechanical/solid camshaft in it with some GM oval port 049 castings that were fully ported, that were upgraded with larger valves and a single plane intake. I remember the engine block and heads being ALL ORANGE and the TRS outdrive w/nosecone and K-planes were all Orange as well. I think the guy that my friend bought the boat from had given him a dyno sheet that said the engine made 500+ HP.

This was back during the time when aftermarket heads were extremely RARE if any that were available for the BBC and no such thing as a GPS available to the public,.....but the boat could turn 6000rpm with a 3-bladed prop and you could tell it was very FAST.....and it was very LOUD! Those were some good ol' days!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea ! I'm 60 now but the saltwaterand 100 mile a hour wind is still in my veins.Used to drag race a 171/2 foot Frahs flatbottom was running 116 mph wasn't able to afford the good headers used car headers upside down.Had sum offshore boats with stock old merc logs.Always wanted a pair of these drakes and they look like they are loud, but no money back then.So now I got a set and my son has a 32 fever to put them on LOL. JOHN
Old 12-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
...wasn't able to afford the good headers used car headers upside down. Had sum offshore boats with stock old merc logs. LOL. JOHN
Yeah...you brought up some good memories John. I remember a few of us being tempted with putting car headers upside down on a few marine engines back then when we were young and didn't have any money, but we didn't know how we were going to keep them cool enough---and we didn't have any extra money to spend. Too funny.