575's w/ intercoolers by whipple >

575's w/ intercoolers by whipple

Notices

575's w/ intercoolers by whipple

Old 11-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 575's w/ intercoolers by whipple

Hoping to get some feed back! I have a 03 38 t/s with 575's. I recently put intercoolers on (whipple) and was told that in addition to helping with longevity of motors and helping to prevent detonation, i would see a minimum of 50-75 horsepower increase.
The pulley system was modified and the boost will go to 7lbs and rev limiters are set at 5600rpm per dustin at whipple who modified the computers.
I was running a 4 blade 33 lab finished prop and the boat would do a solid 89mph @ 5100rpms. After the install ($10,000 later) i could no longer get the boat on plane with ease (sometimes have to start and stop a few times). Props wash out when coming out of hole. But when boat is up and running im not seeing anything over the same 89mph but now at 5300rpms. So then i was advised to go spend an additional $3000 and buy a set of 28 pitch 5 blade maximus props to fix my planning problem. Well it fixed the problem and now im running 86 mph@ port5250rpms,star5450rpms with all the same conditions (water, air, fuel, weight). My frustration is that i spent good money and haven't seen any differences in the boats performance. I've had to change props to get boat on plane and have lost 3mph after all the work done and am running the boat at higher rpms to get the speed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 575's w/ intercoolers by whipple

I would be pretty pissed about that one. Whats whipple telling you? I posted your question on www.boatfreaks.org I get great advice from those guys.

Last edited by jryan26; 11-30-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you put on intercoolers & had the ecms reprogrammed & you can't get on plane now?
Something don't add up there. A change in drive height or change of propellers would do what you are describing, but you say that did not happen.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Doubletake
I've had this conversation with several customers and other engine builders many times and one of my employes son has had the same problem. When you add an cooler to an engine you're creating a restriction you didn't have before therefore the first thing you have to do is turn up the boost to flow the same volume now you're taking more to turn the blower and if you're running a small blower you're starting to affect it's efficiency. The intercooler is a great investment for any blower engine and I strongly recomend it I usually use a blower larger than I need for an intercooler application to ensure the efficiency when having to flow through the cooler. If you look at TOMCATS advertising it says you need more flow not more boost or something along them lines and Tom is one sharp cookie and done a bunch of work with inercoolers I'm sure he feels the same as I do on this I hope you can find the speed your looking for and I would be curious if you removed the coolers to see if your speed would repeat as before. Best of luck to you I'll watch the responses you get. Sincerely Laz Mesa
Old 11-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered

no change in drive height or propellers. We'll, i don't know what it takes to change drive height, but my mechanics said in no way did they change the height. The boat will get on plane but takes work of back and forth on throttles because they'll rev up to 5000 and i have to back it down cuz the boat isn't going anywhere. Many times have to stop and restart again. My boost was turned up to 7lbs. Do i need to change to a bigger blower?

Last edited by doubletake; 11-30-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered

LAZ
What blower would recommend he put on instead? 871's?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Our 2002 TS /TG(extended covergirl) ran 90 mph stock except 5 blade Herrings. Weight was 13,200 lbs.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Registered

where are yiou picking up the water for the coolers is it a pickup on the back of the boat if so make sure it is not disturbing the water to the props this may be causing the getting on plane problem
Old 11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered

the pick up is not on the transom, it's approx 6inches from the keel and 12inches from transom. Ive sent pic's to teague marine and they said no way is it disturbing the water flow. I agreed with you and originally thought that was the problem but have had others look at it and everyone seems to say no. Could i have added some low end horsepower and thats causing the washout problem with my original props?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Registered

what motors? the same 575's? i ran 89 stock before i did anything with 33 lab 4 blade mercurys

Quick Reply: 575's w/ intercoolers by whipple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.