Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Best clamp on mufflers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/146915-best-clamp-mufflers.html)

SMITHBOY 12-11-2006 08:24 AM

Best clamp on mufflers

Need info on some clamp on mufflers that would be the best for my set up. I have 850sc motors. Don't need to be leagal and still want the roar, just want to ease the sting a little. Thanks, Mike

BY U BOY 12-11-2006 11:23 AM

Re: Best clamp on mufflers

I Have A Hot Boat Mag From A Month Or 2 Ago That Has About 10 Diff Muffs And Test Results In It If You Don't Get Or Can't Find The Issue Pm Me You Address And I Will Send It To You.

MYSKATER32 12-11-2006 12:29 PM

I have (4) 4 1/2 " graffic muffers w/out pump.Asking $600 for all four.

SMITHBOY 12-11-2006 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MYSKATER32
I have (4) 4 1/2 " graffic muffers w/out pump.Asking $600 for all four.

Thanks, but I hope to use some that are non mechanical.

SMITHBOY 12-11-2006 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
I Have A Hot Boat Mag From A Month Or 2 Ago That Has About 10 Diff Muffs And Test Results In It If You Don't Get Or Can't Find The Issue Pm Me You Address And I Will Send It To You.

Sent you a pm, thanks!

SMITHBOY 12-11-2006 07:36 PM

Has anybody used CMI sound elimination mufflers?

Brad Zastrow 12-11-2006 07:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have run the CMI's on two different boats. First on 1200hp engines. I have them on my Fountain that was 800hp and now is 600hp without the blowers. I LOVE THEM! They kill the noise in a big way at idle which is where most of our troubles are getting into harbors and no wake zones. Very quiet. They will open at about 3000 rpm and will be full flow, no restriction and well ...loud. I like that feature, if needed pull back on the sticks to under 3000 to cruise by quiet when needed. Although CMI claims good to 1200hp I am not so sure. Your engines will work great with those. Give ATECO a call they have a sale through the end of year on all CMI products. First of the year price are going up on CMI. Steel prices.

10x 12-11-2006 08:02 PM

Use the Drew Marine Shotgun mufflers. I used them for years and they were fine. Plus, when you want to make some noise, like from open exhaust, I cut a little short piece of plastic hose, like 1/8th" stuff, just as long as the plunger that goes in and out of the spring loaded cylinder.
When you hand open the flapper, the plunger comes out of the cylinder, and it's spring loaded to shut when you let go, or at idle when there's little pressure. While it's open, just measure the length of the little rod sticking out of the cylinder, cut a piece of 1/8th" clear plastic hose, take a razor and cut a slot all the way down one side. That way you can open up the hose, and push it onto the plunger, and the plunger won't go back into the cylinder, thus keeping the flap at the back wide open.

I would do this once we left the dock and exited the harbor. Then I had complete open exhaust. If we came into the harbor late in the evening, I would shut off the engines outside of the harbor, and take off the 4 plastic hoses on the mufflers, and it would be quieter again. :D

If you're interested in that set up, give me a pm, and I'll send you my phone # and I'll explain how it works. You can have the best of both worlds, quiet at the dock, well they're really not THAT quiet, but a little quieter than open headers, :rolleyes: and open exhaust out on the lake while running.

Frank

GLH 12-11-2006 08:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have Donkey Dicks which works fine off plane, not much muffling on plane but it points the noise downward a tad...

SMITHBOY 12-12-2006 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I have run the CMI's on two different boats. First on 1200hp engines. I have them on my Fountain that was 800hp and now is 600hp without the blowers. I LOVE THEM! They kill the noise in a big way at idle which is where most of our troubles are getting into harbors and no wake zones. Very quiet. They will open at about 3000 rpm and will be full flow, no restriction and well ...loud. I like that feature, if needed pull back on the sticks to under 3000 to cruise by quiet when needed. Although CMI claims good to 1200hp I am not so sure. Your engines will work great with those. Give ATECO a call they have a sale through the end of year on all CMI products. First of the year price are going up on CMI. Steel prices.

Thanks for the info! So far I think the CMI's look like the best solution. I will give Ateco a call to find out more.

SMITHBOY 12-12-2006 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 10x
Use the Drew Marine Shotgun mufflers. I used them for years and they were fine. Plus, when you want to make some noise, like from open exhaust, I cut a little short piece of plastic hose, like 1/8th" stuff, just as long as the plunger that goes in and out of the spring loaded cylinder.
When you hand open the flapper, the plunger comes out of the cylinder, and it's spring loaded to shut when you let go, or at idle when there's little pressure. While it's open, just measure the length of the little rod sticking out of the cylinder, cut a piece of 1/8th" clear plastic hose, take a razor and cut a slot all the way down one side. That way you can open up the hose, and push it onto the plunger, and the plunger won't go back into the cylinder, thus keeping the flap at the back wide open.

I would do this once we left the dock and exited the harbor. Then I had complete open exhaust. If we came into the harbor late in the evening, I would shut off the engines outside of the harbor, and take off the 4 plastic hoses on the mufflers, and it would be quieter again. :D

If you're interested in that set up, give me a pm, and I'll send you my phone # and I'll explain how it works. You can have the best of both worlds, quiet at the dock, well they're really not THAT quiet, but a little quieter than open headers, :rolleyes: and open exhaust out on the lake while running.

Frank

I will check into these. Your system sounds like it works really well but it seems like alot of work. Do they go quiet on their own? Are you modifying them when you want full flow all the time?

SMITHBOY 12-12-2006 07:15 AM

GLH, thought about the down turns but just don't know if I'm crazy about the look. Still an option though. Thanks for the info!

BY U BOY 12-12-2006 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SMITHBOY
Sent you a pm, thanks!

TRY AGAIN. MY INBOX WAS FULL

Elite Marine 12-12-2006 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the new CMI Muffler picture:

Ateco will need your exhaust size and HP.

SMITHBOY 12-12-2006 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Here's the new CMI Muffler picture:

Ateco will need your exhaust size and HP.

Are they adjustable so you can have a low roar at idle but not super loud as straight pipes? They do open all the way at 3000 rpm?

Too Old 12-12-2006 09:43 PM

There's a few good choices out there. You might want to look at the CMI'S, Drews as Frank suggested and also the GIBSONS

hawkmeister38 12-12-2006 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have Gaffrig's on my TG. Stelling's, 4.5 in. tail-pipes. It sounds very good idling and my friends say running along at speed beside me it sounds excellent. When switched closed they quiet down alot. My friend has the identical set with almost no time on them. If you are interested let me know, I'll put you in touch with him.
I think they were around $2,500 for the pair with the pump and hose/fitting kit.
See attached picture for what they look like.

Ateco 12-12-2006 10:42 PM

CMI Mufflers are on sale now with free shipping. :evilb:

CMI Mufflers

Beat the January 1 price increase.

Wild Card 09 12-13-2006 02:31 PM

I´ve run the CMI Sound Eliminators this season on my 525EFI in a 25 Outlaw. They are really good at taking the sound level down and taking the sharpness off the tone at idle. They open up between 2500 and 3000 rpm, as the boat comes on plane, so the really agressive sound cuts in as the acceleration starts. I´ve run the boat with and without and reckon that there´s maybe a loss of 50 rpm if at all. I hit the 5350 rpm revlimiter more readily without them and at over 80 mph gps. I love them. I think the boat sound better with them, at full throttle and under hard acceleration. They look good and are easy to keep clean.
Only one complaint - they rattle at idle - producing a noise that doesn´t sound so good, but disappears once over 1000 rpm. I´m working on that one.

SMITHBOY 12-13-2006 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
I´ve run the CMI Sound Eliminators this season on my 525EFI in a 25 Outlaw. They are really good at taking the sound level down and taking the sharpness off the tone at idle. They open up between 2500 and 3000 rpm, as the boat comes on plane, so the really agressive sound cuts in as the acceleration starts. I´ve run the boat with and without and reckon that there´s maybe a loss of 50 rpm if at all. I hit the 5350 rpm revlimiter more readily without them and at over 80 mph gps. I love them. I think the boat sound better with them, at full throttle and under hard acceleration. They look good and are easy to keep clean.
Only one complaint - they rattle at idle - producing a noise that doesn´t sound so good, but disappears once over 1000 rpm. I´m working on that one.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the CMI's are the best choice so far. Do they both rattle or do you think you have one that went bad.

Quent 12-13-2006 05:49 PM

Smithboy, I have a pair of CMI Soun Elimination Mufflers, 4 1/2 inch, new this year. Call me if your are interested. They are the best thing I've ever used. I sold my engine and don't need them. Quent

Ateco 12-13-2006 06:08 PM

Checks in the mail Wild Card!! :D

All kidding aside, we appreciate honest opinions on our products. We have several sets of CMI Sound Elimination Mufflers in stock, both transom mount and clamp on styles.

We'd like to know your horsepower and have you verify clearance from swimplatforms, water dumps, etc...
The largest diameter to be concerned with is 6" OD.

Let us know if we can help as we are Your CMI Source for exhaust headers and components.

Kirk
Ateco Engine and Dyno Shop

509 SC 12-13-2006 08:18 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Gibsons as far as sound reduction? I'm interested in a "full" time muffler so the CMI don't interest me. Thanks! Steve

Von Bongo 12-13-2006 08:26 PM

I have a set of gibsons on my Cig with blown 509's.

They take the bark out and I've never been stopped at LOTO in 2 years. Never measured the db

FormulaM2Formula 12-13-2006 10:53 PM

I have the CMI's on HP500 EFI engines. I was running open exhaust before. I really like the CMI's as well. We were having to yell at each other at idle before and now can talk in a normal voice at idle w/ the CMI's. The sound IS great above 3000 rpm. They still really knock down the noise, but they gets rid of the harshness of open exhaust, but the deep big block exhaust sound is still there. I can actually hear the gear whine of XR drives w/ the mufflers.

I also have noticed the rattle at idle. It really isn't that noisy of a rattle. To people who have a good ear for mechnical problems, you will think that something is coming apart, but for people who are oblivious, they'll never even notice. :)

Now that I've had the CMI's on, I'll never go back to open exhaust.

Garrett

SMITHBOY 12-14-2006 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by FormulaM2Formula
I have the CMI's on HP500 EFI engines. I was running open exhaust before. I really like the CMI's as well. We were having to yell at each other at idle before and now can talk in a normal voice at idle w/ the CMI's. The sound IS great above 3000 rpm. They still really knock down the noise, but they gets rid of the harshness of open exhaust, but the deep big block exhaust sound is still there. I can actually hear the gear whine of XR drives w/ the mufflers.

I also have noticed the rattle at idle. It really isn't that noisy of a rattle. To people who have a good ear for mechnical problems, you will think that something is coming apart, but for people who are oblivious, they'll never even notice. :)

Now that I've had the CMI's on, I'll never go back to open exhaust.

Garrett

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be going with the CMI's. I spoke with CMI today and they said they cured the rattle in the newer tips.

SMITHBOY 12-14-2006 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ateco
Checks in the mail Wild Card!! :D

All kidding aside, we appreciate honest opinions on our products. We have several sets of CMI Sound Elimination Mufflers in stock, both transom mount and clamp on styles.

We'd like to know your horsepower and have you verify clearance from swimplatforms, water dumps, etc...
The largest diameter to be concerned with is 6" OD.

Let us know if we can help as we are Your CMI Source for exhaust headers and components.

Kirk
Ateco Engine and Dyno Shop

Thank you for all the information. My boat is still being rigged at Nor-Tech. They will be handling the ordering and install.

BY U BOY 12-14-2006 04:13 PM

Thank you for all the information. My boat is still being rigged at Nor-Tech. They will be handling the ordering and install.

YOU STILL WANT THE HOT BOAT MAG

509 SC 12-14-2006 09:12 PM

BY U BOY, What month was the muffler article in? Thanks! Steve

BY U BOY 12-14-2006 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 509 SC
BY U BOY, What month was the muffler article in? Thanks! Steve

MARCH 05

Revd Up 12-14-2006 11:10 PM

I also have the CMI's and they work great. 575 HP . Mine don't really rattle, just a nice sound. I too won't go back to open exhaust. Make's your boat more of a sleeper and Keeps the noise police happy. Can't beat it.

SMITHBOY 12-15-2006 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
YOU STILL WANT THE HOT BOAT MAG

Yes, if you don't mind :D

BY U BOY 12-15-2006 09:41 AM

Yes, if you don't mind :D

I WILL GET IT OUT TODAY.

zt260 12-15-2006 10:46 AM

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be going with the CMI's. I spoke with CMI today and they said they cured the rattle in the newer tips.

Did they say if they could fix the rattle in the older ones?

Elite Marine 12-15-2006 01:21 PM

Yes they can.

zt260 12-15-2006 01:30 PM

Any idea what they whould be changing? And cost?

Kelly O 12-15-2006 02:01 PM

I would be interested in eliminating the rattle at idle too.

Elite Marine 12-15-2006 04:26 PM

I'll call them and see. If I recall they put a stitch weld somewhere to prevent the rattle.

Too Old 12-15-2006 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 509 SC
Anyone have any experience with the Gibsons as far as sound reduction? I'm interested in a "full" time muffler so the CMI don't interest me. Thanks! Steve

Steve, I can get you some test numbers on the Gibsons.

bcarpman 12-16-2006 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by GLH
I have Donkey Dicks which works fine off plane, not much muffling on plane but it points the noise downward a tad...

Are they setup so that they are below the water off plane? I would assume so, but thought I'd ask. By how much?

Sure seems like a cheap and simple way to do captains call without the complexity.