496HO & Water Pressure

Notices

496HO & Water Pressure

Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 496HO & Water Pressure

Dont quote me on it, but believe it is 1/4"..

I just grabbed some more T's As I also needed one for my boat. I had some that were to big in our parts room & for some reason I'm thinking they were 3/8" and that's why I had to get the 1/4" ones.....

If you cant find what you need locally, call me I can set you up with the t's that will work for you..

Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628
Old 01-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DONZI33
Shhh!! its a secret..
You can tee in at the Cooler above the coupler. There should be a sensor there. Add a brass threaded tee.. Jamie / Lakeside
Smart a$$...
Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 30 outlaw 2005
Smart a$$...
A little friendly teasing never hurt anybody.. Jamie
Old 01-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are pitot tube style on my 496's. There's a brass fitting on the body of the raw water pump with a tube running to the gauges on the dash. Typically reads 30-35 psi. They're very fragile though. 2 years ago went to make my first impeller changes and broke one off. Went to Home Depot and found a similar fitting though it's either more narrow, or wider bacause the pressure now reads in the 40's. This past year same routine only on the other side. Nowe both "read" higher pressures coming off the pump not from the system. So it's the fitting giving a false higher read. Don't care personally.

My point is if you had this pitot tube coming off your pump you may have slightly bent it creating both a fracture to spray water in the bilge, and to pinch it enough to make the gauge read higher. I'm not familiar with the mechanicals or the ones mounted above the coupler area. Just a tickler thought.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Water pressure on mine is taken from the SW side of the system. The I don't know if its before or after the SWP though; I need to do some digging. There is no thermostat on the SW side of the system.

The engine driven WP spins the Antifreeze though the motor.

The boat is at a shop in Florida getting the once over. If I still have problems the next time I take it out, I will have to dig deeper.

I just don't know why the water pressure spiked so high with new impellers and South Florida salt water.
Brian, The pressure is read as it enters the SWP, most likely your heat exchanger gaskets are falling apart and the heat exchangers are getting partially clogged/blocked. If you want pm me your number and I'll explain it. Its really pretty simple buy some 1/8" cork and make your own gaskets and use a coat hanger and some compressed air to clean out the heat exchangers and your pressure should come down. I have had some pressure issues with my 496's as well for some reason one motor makes twice the pressure of the other.