Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
drive oil in bilge >

drive oil in bilge

Notices

drive oil in bilge

Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive oil in bilge

I posted this in the wrong section, I needed to post here in tech....
I was hooking the boat up to run it on the hose, & noticed drive oil in the bilge.
A quick run down of what I've done recently, I just replaced the transom, & gimbal assy, with an XR, but the drive is Bravo 1. I do not have a lube monitor anymore. When I first removed the drive for the repair, I had drive oil coming out of the shift linkage area. So, I took it to have the shift shaft seals replaced. The oil does not appear to be coming from the drive shaft area, & is not running down the transom. I did find that it was in fact running down the starboard side of the engine, I traced it all the way up to the shift cable, & the cable actually has oil dripping out of it. So, my thinking is, the shift seals are still leaking & filling up the cavity that the shift cable connects with the linkage. Is this the case, or am I way off base, & actually have bigger issues. Would the fact that the Bravo originally had the monitor, & now the XR has no valve for it, allow the check ball on the drive to leak? That was my other possible thinking, but that doesn't explain the oil coming out of the cable. Anyway, I appreciate any input on this, I plan on removing the drive this afternoon, & take it back to the mechanic, I just don't want to unload on him for a doing a crappy repair if it's not his fault.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:28 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Maybe a stupid question but here goes... When you removed the gear lube monitor ( which is a mistake in my opinion ) , did you somehow cap off the fitting on the transom assembly? If not, lube will leak into the bilge. The other possibility is the upper drive shaft seals. When you pull the drive, see if there is gear lube in the bellows. If so, the upper seal is leaking.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 PM

Unfortunately, I had no choice in the matter of removing the monitor. The transom had no hole for the fitting, I was told it wasn't set-up for a monitor.
I didn't get it pulled off tonight, hopefully tomorrow I will know more.